Smartphone Address Book Advice

On my old cell phone, I would only put a lady's contact information on my address book prior to an encounter when arrangements were being made and so on. Once the encounter was over, the contact information deleted

Phone, a basic talk/text had no password protection, and if lost, whoever found the phone had access to my contacts, ladies included...and I certainly wanted to be discrete with the information

My new smartphone on the other hand, password protected like a computer, and even after a few minutes of inactivity, the phone blacks out and you need to re-enter the password. Would ladies, those that I see regularly that is, want their name and contact information stored on my address book or deleted after every encounter. Right now my habit is still to delete, but I may reconsider, depending on feedback from the ladies (and gentlemen) here. And if I kept your name and contact information, it is because you are a lady I do repeat with...I'm not trying to make an electronic little black book LOL

Any input and advice appreciated.

RG

I have a practice of storing the contact information on only one of my email accounts and then syncing it with my phone. As this is my throw away phone, it's really important that the address book is only synced on that phone for that account and the other accounts aren't set up that way. This gives me a good backup.

The other thing to do is get an app that will find a phone that is lost, and I believe some of them will deactivate many of the functions if lost. In Google I think it would be the lock out app.

I am curious, do you have an android phone?

If so there are some great apps to have hidden contacts, texts and phone calls. I didn't want any of my friends seeing any texts from Cerb ladies (before they get deleted) and asking questions so I found an app that lets me hide this activity

The one I have is called "Hide my text". It is pretty awesome, you get a completely transparent icon to use and when you hit the icon on your homescreen it just brings up what looks like a blank notifications screen. You have to hit a specific area of this blank notifications screen to start the app. Even then, the app asks for a password before you get to your hidden contacts or texts and there is no title or anything to give away what it really is.

If you're not on android I am sure there are similar things on i-phone or windows phones and maybe even blackberry.

Mine is an android, a Samsung Galaxy Note to be exact

Now I'm an absolute newbie to the world of smartphones and apps...so question, how do you get an app.

One other thing, I signed on with Rogers, and part of the smartphone package is Rogers mobility, which includes a thing called "Rogers 1 Contacts". It is an address book which can be used for all your emails, your messaging (texts) and for phone calls. It isn't attached to any specific email program or phone.

RG

To be honest, I'd be inclined to delete everyone's info when you no longer need it. The problem with smartphones is that you never know when you'll install an app (or an update to an existing app) that will grab your entire address book and do who-knows-what with it. The only real safeguard you have against this kind of crap is to not have sensitive information there in the first place. You can be careful about what apps you install, but if you're like the rest of us you'll probably screw up on that sooner or later...

Yes, I'm paranoid :)

What I do is I have a number of groups of contacts within Google Apps and I use two factor authentication to log into Google for extra security. When I want a contact in my phone I just drag it into the main MyContacts group and it magically "appears" on the phone, when I want it gone I drag it into another group that is not set to sync with the phone and it similarly disappears a few minutes later.

Of course my Android is a Motorola which has BLUR which allows you to remotely locate, lock or wipe the phone.

However, when it comes to ladies contact info I delete it completely unless it is truly a regular (and I know she wouldn't mind) and then I move it out of the phone when not needed. If I subsequently set up another appointment she will provide the contact info again which may have changed anyways.

Well from what I'm reading I think I'll stay with my current practice. Just put a lady's contact info in just prior to arranging an encounter, and delete after an encounter.

I can always re-enter the information when I arrange to see a lady again, it's not a problem.

RG

• Like 1