Really need advice - please read

I agree that 80% is high. Note I said it was his opinion. It's certainly not 0%. Let's not get polyanna here, there are plenty of SPs who are pimped in this industry, it's probably impossible to get an exact percentage.

I don't think it's appropriate for you to tell me that I'm being "polyanna"; I recognized that my experiences in not knowing anyone who has been pimped are just as invalid as his experiences in 80% as they are individual experiences and not indicative of the general population. I am certainly not saying that there is no pimping, but I do think that 80% is a high estimate. We could throw numbers at each other all day long but at the end of the day, this is not a population that is easily surveyed, and those under the control of another aren't always at liberty to participate in this data-collecting just as the number of workers who are self-employed aren't always willing to identify themselves as being in the sex industry.

• Like 1

I don't think it's appropriate for you to tell me that I'm being "polyanna"; I recognized that my experiences in not knowing anyone who has been pimped are just as invalid as his experiences in 80% as they are individual experiences and not indicative of the general population. I am certainly not saying that there is no pimping, but I do think that 80% is a high estimate. We could throw numbers at each other all day long but at the end of the day, this is not a population that is easily surveyed, and those under the control of another aren't always at liberty to participate in this data-collecting just as the number of workers who are self-employed aren't always willing to identify themselves as being in the sex industry.

We are not in disagreement. I said that probably 80 per cent is too high and was his opinion. To suggest that pimping is not happening is to be naive or polyannaish. My exact words were "let's not..." which suggests I was talking to all of us and not you specifically.

You've taken offense where none was intended.

Of course there are "pimps" out there. Many shapes and forms of which, as cat has suggested, do not fit the stereotype created by the media. Let's not be naive.

Then again, to suggest that the majority of "ladies of the night" are subjected to this type of control is also quite stereotypical.

From the type of threads and comments on Cerb, I see, for the most part, confident, self aware, independent women who have chosen a career path that suits their personality and goals. I do not see the desperation that may come from being coerced by another.

Perhaps I am naive but I see the whole pimp issue declining as the availability of the Internet is increasing. Don't get me wrong, there are definitely women who find themselves being controlled for various reasons but to assume that most are is ignorant.

• Like 1

You might be surprised at how many cerbites will be forthcoming with constructive advice. Also, language need not be a barrier as a lot of the membership is bilingual and those who are not are at least tolerant enough to "read between the lines" and determine the gist of a post. I am still of the opinion that this particular person should explore the resources offered by an agency, at least to start.

In my 25 years, I've come to learn that pimps don't always wear fur coats or look like gangsters. I've seen husbands who are straight up pimps and boyfriends who offer no contribution to running the business but bleed the woman dry.

It's true. I've met a few ladies who have someone leeching off them, contributing nothing to the business, and expecting to be provided for out of their income. Sometimes these individuals even come to the door to check out clients when they arrive. And they wear fur coats all the time.

And it's ironic that I'm replying to a post by someone who's clearly so far under the thumb that she even has to call herself "cat". :)

Sorry. I'll shut up now.

Thanks again everyone for your words of wisdom. I make sure she knows that what she is doing is illegal. Sorry if I offended or annoyed anyone, it was not my intention.

• Like 1

Just a little anecdote regarding pimps, this came from a woman interviewed in Halifax who worked at the street level:

"Pimp? What do I need a pimp for? If I'm in a car, ain't no pimp in there to protect me."

• Like 2