Thanksgiving side dishes

Every thanksgiving for as long as I remember, everything has been exactly the same. When I took over the holiday, I prepared everything to moms standards. I wanna shake things up a bit but still provide the staples.

So....

Alternatives to mashed potatoes, mashed acorn squash and mashed sweet potato as well as different cranberry sauce (not jellied) and any other seasonal veg (NO green been casserole!) oh ya and a new interpretation of pumpkin pie...doesn't need to be a pie lol

Guest *ig*a**

Instead of mashed potatoes I like to serve a combination of roasted small red and yellow flesh potatatoes also I serve roasted asparagus with parmesan cheese and for dessert I whip up a nice light pumpkin mousse.

How about some perogies with caramelised onions and baby carrots in brown sugar?

Like Bigdawg, we sometimes make roasted or grilled asparagus but we cook them with extra virgin oil and balsamic vinegar (no parmesan cheese). If your family loves mushrooms, you could also prepare your favorite or a mix of mushrooms in a pan (like a stir fry) with a little bit of fresh garlic and green onions.

Addtional comment:

I sometimes add caramilised mushrooms with garlic to my mash potatoes... Awesome!

I know I have the same problem. I serve the same dinner my family has been having for years which is their tradition and it's getting stale... Check out the Martha Stewart site. She has some good alternatives.

How about butternut squash bake with cinnamon brown sugar crumb topping? It's a good side dish for Thanksgiving. Or maple mashed sweet potatoes.

I think that I would consider the stuffing to be a side dish, and here it can be made with unlimited variations. From the base which can have bread, potato or rice in it, or additions of things like sausage, shellfish, apple or dried fruit. I try new variations twice a year, Xmas and Thanksgiving.

for something new on the pumpkin pie i do an upside down pumpkin cake thats awesome really well received and i,ve done mashed cauliflower with cream cheese thats really good -last year was prime rib roasted fall veggies yorkshire pudding and pomegranite salad with strawberries and blueberries for the app hot goat cheese with fresh tomato salsa-best compliments ever except one son who,s a turkey traditionalist- if you want the recipes just ask-d

• Like 1

I know Thanksgiving, in part, celebrates harvest bounty - but I really can't stand turnips, squash, pumpkins or gourds generally. I wish I could enjoy them, but the old gag reflex kicks-in & it just won't go down the hatch. Bitter taste. Yams & sweet potatoes are just way too heavy.

Anyway, enough of my whining.

I love grilled stuff - onions, beans, broccolli, peppers mixed in olive oil - a few spices. Throw 'em in a wire basket & burn 'em on the Q. Yay.

Guest ****ven

Hmmmm some alternatives that I like for a side dish include turnip casserole and coleslaw (goes really well with turkey and provides a cold food option)

I also have recipes for a pumpkin cheesecake and a pumpkin ice cream cake that are equally delicious!

I would love the pumpkin cheese cake recipe Sami and the upside down cake sounds good too.

Gimme some cranberry dishes. I hate just plain old boiled cranberries and sugar!

Agree with Angela. I mainly eat stuffing and moms coleslaw lol.

Additional Comments:

Oh, and I just found out that my brother's new g/f only eats fish....creative one person fish dishes welcome!

• Like 1

I would love the pumpkin cheese cake recipe Sami and the upside down cake sounds good too.

Gimme some cranberry dishes. I hate just plain old boiled cranberries and sugar!

Additional Comments:

Oh, and I just found out that my brother's new g/f only eats fish....creative one person fish dishes welcome!

Here is one for the cranberry..

Spiced cranberry apple chutney. It's at allrecipes website

I usually have a ham or roast beef as a side dish :).

Had turkey over a week ago. Just finished the last of the left overs :)

Turkey sandwich with a smear of cranberry sauce on the bread is good.

A hint to make moist turkey, Inject the turkey using a flavour injector with one bottle of beer into the legs and breast of the turkey. I've been doing this for over 30 years now. Perfect turkey every time :)

Guest N***he**Ont**y

Smoked Beer Can Turkey

Ingredients:

-- 1 whole turkey, about 15 pounds

-- 12 ounces beer plus 2 tablespoons

-- 6 bay leaves

-- 2 teaspoons thyme

-- 4 tablespoons brown sugar

-- 2 tablespoons ketchup

-- 2 tablespoons white vinegar

-- 2 teaspoons hot sauce

-- 2 tablespoons paprika

-- 1 tablespoon black pepper

-- 1 tablespoon salt

-- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

-- 1 24 ounce beer can

Preparation:

Empty the beer can into another container. Cut the top of the can off and pour in 12 ounces of beer. Add bay leaves and thyme. Set aside. Combine 2 tablespoons brown sugar with the paprika, salt and pepper. This is the rub for the turkey. In another container combine 2 tablespoons brown sugar, ketchup, vinegar, 2 tablespoons of beer and hot sauce. This is your baste for the turkey while it cooks. Prepare smoker for a 6 hour smoke. Rub surface of the turkey with the spice rub. Try to get as much as you can under the skin, particularly over the breast meat. Stand beer can up on the smoker grate and gently set the turkey over the can so that the can is completely inside the cavity of the turkey. Make sure that the turkey stands easily and doesn't sway. The turkey needs to be stable. Once you have the turkey in the smoker let it cook for about 6 hours at a temperature around 250 degrees F. Check for an internal temperature in the thigh of about 165 degrees F. This is when the bird is done. Baste the turkey with the baste mixture every 2 hours.

I like to make pumpkin rolls but I don't serve them as dessert. Thanksgiving dinner is always too big to consider dessert. I usually put them out in the morning with milk or coffee.

Additional Comments:

Salmon or trout are probably easiest. And you really don't need to go to much trouble. Put a fillet on the grill pan for a few minutes on each side, and it will go seamlessly with just about everything on a Thanksgiving table.

Porthos