Alright, I have to ask. What is this Eastern Canada stuff? I turn on the radio or TV to the CBC national news and I hear about this massive storm that may hit Eastern Canada. Geeze, I was getting worried as I remember Hurricane Juan! Upon further investigation I see that they are talking about Southern Quebec and Ontario.?????? I thought that was Upper Canada or Central Canada?

What are we here on the East coast? The far east? Insignificant? A Canadian footnote? Does Canada stop at the Quebec - New Brunswick border?

That's OK though, I will figure it out. For me, I love the Maritimes and Atlantic Canada and if we are Canada's best kept secret that's good with me.

By the way, if the big storm in Eastern Canada is making you nervous come this way and enjoy the lovely fall weather. My B&B could be open.

My good natured vent for the day. :) Good luck to you all in Central Canada.

• Like 2

Guest jrose

I hear this all the time - when you say you live near Amherst, NS, for example you get asked how far that is from Montreal.

Even Halifax is to some folks to be a suburb of Montreal it seems....

owever, we might eventually see some of this storm, getting on the other topic.

I going to admit, when I hear Eastern Canada, I think Ontario and Quebec. Further to the east is the Maritimes, but logically that is Eastern Canada too.

Okay, so, if we are confused about the East, where does the West start?

Guest a**4*

There are a lot of people that do not know where our country starts only ends i was talking to a girl she never heard of Newfoundland some thinks it is in Florida ha ha i am proud to come from the east coast i guess some people should be teaching Canadian history about our country start to finish sad when canadians do not know where our country starts it makes me say W.T.F. but that is ok i know where i am from what about you

I'll add to the chorus of frustration. Of course, Central Canada properly is Manitoba ... since Winnipeg is virtually in the geographic center of the country.

But it does irk me to hear Ontario and Quebec referred to as Eastern Canada. I think, however, it may be a politically correct reaction against that part of the country calling itself Central Canada, as in the center of it all.

Still, the Maritimes and Atlantic Canada need to make a return to our geographic lexicon.

Porthos

• Like 2

... since Winnipeg is virtually in the geographic center of the country.

Oh no, does that mean that all of Canada revolves around Lee Richards? Soleil, OK. :)

Part of the problem is that some of the terminology has morphed over time, and we have a few different terms for various parts (Western Canada, Mountain regions, Prairies, Central Canada, Eastern Canada, the Maritimes, the Territories)

Maybe we should have a quiz...

Part of the problem is that some of the terminology has morphed over time, and we have a few different terms for various parts (Western Canada, Mountain regions, Prairies, Central Canada, Eastern Canada, the Maritimes, the Territories)

Maybe we should have a quiz...

So true. The Prairies? Is Manitoba included? Western Canada? Is Alberta in there?

Perhaps it is just accepted in modern terminology that Eastern Canada refers to Ontario and Quebec, and despite the fact that to me it is illogical, I will get used to it.

We are a funny country. :)

To get things more confusing ( ;-) ) on what (or where) is where in the country I'll just throw in a french quote from one of Quebec's great singer-songwriters (Gilles Vigneault):

"Mon pays, ce n'est pas un pays, c'est l'hiver"

Translated, it goes : "My country isn't a country, it's Winter"

:-)

But yes, the terminology can get confusing as all is relative to where we live as well.

• Like 1

There are a lot of people that do not know where our country starts only ends i was talking to a girl she never heard of Newfoundland some thinks it is in Florida ha ha i am proud to come from the east coast i guess some people should be teaching Canadian history about our country start to finish sad when canadians do not know where our country starts it makes me say W.T.F. but that is ok i know where i am from what about you

That is sad especially since Newfoundland had considered joining the United States back in the late 1940's. Who knows what would have happened if that were the case. I was born in Eastern Canada but I was pretty much raised elsewhere. When someone says Eastern Canada, I think Newfoundland, P.E.I., Nova Scotia and New Brunswick.

Guest a**4*

Very true and Newfoundland went from a have not to a have how times have changed and changing for the better about time

"Mon pays, ce n'est pas un pays, c'est l'hiver"

Translated, it goes : "My country isn't a country, it's Winter"

Mais J'aime mons pays, l'est, l'ouest et tout entre les deux. Aussi, j'aime l'hiver est c'est tout le francais pour mois!

• Like 1

The transformation of Ontario into Eastern Canada may have to do with all the transplanted Newfoundlanders here. I think most of Bell Island lives in Kitchener-Waterloo.

Fort Mac may have to be renamed St. John's West!

Porthos

• Like 1

So true. The Prairies? Is Manitoba included? Western Canada? Is Alberta in there?

Perhaps it is just accepted in modern terminology that Eastern Canada refers to Ontario and Quebec, and despite the fact that to me it is illogical, I will get used to it.

Illogical? Not surprising when you consider that Confederation Square in Ottawa is actually a triangle. If Canadians can mess that up, they can mess up anything! :)

• Like 1

Oh no, does that mean that all of Canada revolves around Lee Richards? Soleil, OK. :)

So here I am sipping on a coffee....quietly reading this post and WHAMMO ! I see my name. So I thought about it a bit and I think that yes yes yes.... NO NO NO all of Canada should NOT revolve around Lee Richards !! Soleil YES ! Let us revolve around the naked Sun in all her inner and outer beauty ;) and in this case ALWAYS look directly at the Sun :)

Alot of my family live out west. Maybe I'll be the next one to go.

As you head west to see your family Nicki....may I suggest....a .... "lay - over" in Brandon ??? ;) Hmmmm ??? Just a thought ......... ha

well if you are dividing the country in half, then everything west of Winnipeg is "western Canada" and everything east of Winnipeg is "eastern Canada"

I've lived all but 3 of my 59 years in southwestern Ontario and refer to this as central Canada - because, of course, even though I am a 3 day drive east of Winnipeg, this is the centre of the Canadian universe LOL

Guest a**4*

I will always be a Newfounder until i am gone get use to it :bowdown:

Additional Comments:

I will always be a Newfounder until i am gone get use to it :bowdown:
that should be Newfoundlander type-o

Speaking from a Sask. point of view, West to me is Man to BC,

Central Ont/Que, When you speak of east I don't think of individual provinces I think of them all as a whole, not sure why that is. This country is so vast that the lingo has regionality interpretation IMO, G9

As you head west to see your family Nicki....may I suggest....a .... "lay - over" in Brandon ??? ;) Hmmmm ??? Just a thought ......... ha

If I go out west, it will be permanent.lol. Lay-over.. is that an invitation?lol

If I go out west, it will be permanent.lol. Lay-over.. is that an invitation?lol

Yes an invitation..... we should try the Lay-over first :D then we can see if you can cook.........and if I can take out the garbage....you know white picket fence stuff......then practice the layover again a couple more times and if all works out we can make it permanent ;)

• Like 2