If anyone in cerbia has a view on which are the best all season tires please inform.:biggrin: I'm in need of a new set, and don't want to purchase all seasons and winters. I've heard about all weather, but seems to be some hype there. All the sites online seem to contradict one another and dealers only want to push their brand so it's hard to find a good unbiased opinion, hoping maybe for one here, thanks-

It all depends where in Canada that you live. If you want good winter tires you can't depend on all season since they won't hold the road below -5 or -10 degree C but then again winter tires wear much faster above 10 degree C.

Its a decision you must take when purchasing tires. If you live in Quebec it's the law to have winter tire from Dec. 15 till March 15.

• Like 1

Cristy, my general advice is that I have had good experience with Bridgestone and Goodyear. Both companies are having sales right now so this is a good time to be looking.

For a more specific answer, there needs to be more detail such as what make and model car, is it high performance, is a quiet ride important, how long to do you intend to keep the tires.

Winter versus All-Season? If you are going to do a lot of snow driving, Winter is lovely unless you don't mind having to push your car occasionally. As noted, however, you need to swap them for All-Seasons when the weather warms up.

All-Seasons are generally sufficient for urban driving year round.

This is a good primer on how to pick tires.

The major manufacturers have tire selector tools on their websites to help you determine which tire is best for you. Generally, lower priced tires are a bit noisier and don't last as long.

Bridgestone's selector is here.

Goodyear's is here.

Hope this helps and happy shopping!

• Like 1

Snow tires vs All-seasons is probably going to be a never ending debate and all I will do is share my experience. For many many years we used all-seasons exclusively and one winter for whatever reason we moved to a true snow tire. The difference was like night and day. The next time we changed we went to studded snow tires and the difference again was even more striking.

From personal experience I am a confirmed snow tire advocate. I live in a rural area however with a lot of snowfall and icy roads and probably 95 % of my driving is on the highway.

As for brand of tire I generally like Michelin but with tires this may be a place where the old adage of, "You get what you pay for," is true.

• Like 3

Oh yeah, as just mentioned, there are studded snow tires. An amazing experience if you've never driven with them. In your area studded tires are legal from now to the end of April. They are illegal for Southern Ontario residents - $1000 fine!

The best all season tires only make a difference in the spring/summer/fall seasons. After it gets colder then 5-7 C, there isn't much of a difference between a good all season and a bad one. At that temperature or colder, the tire hardens, and becomes quite ineffective.

For all seasons, I like Michelin HydroEdge. Quite good for rain (other then rain, there isn't much of a threat on the road). They are pricier, but I've noticed a difference in rain driving.

Again, and I only say this because of a close call, in the winter, it doesn't matter which all season you get, slow speed is the only thing that saved me from a particularly brutal accident.

• Like 1

I agree that Michelin makes some of the best tires and they will tend to last quite a bit longer than some of the cheeper ones. You'll pay quite a bit more for them though but it is worth it if you will be keeping the car for a while.

Snow tires vs All-seasons is probably going to be a never ending debate and all I will do is share my experience. For many many years we used all-seasons exclusively and one winter for whatever reason we moved to a true snow tire. The difference was like night and day.

I'm pretty sure that being on snow tires (rather than 4-seasons) has been the difference between staying on the road or not for me on at least a couple of occasions. Yes, having to swap them over sucks. But trashing your car sucks more.

• Like 1

Guest N***he**Ont**y

Being in NorthEastern Ontario Winter Tires are a must! they have saved my life a dozen times or more as I am on the road most days of the week. Studded tire are the best for rural driving in my book. As what brand is best I match the tires to the car I own at the time and look for a good performer. Good Year and Michelin are my choices.

Driving in the snow is like eating pussy.

If you don't slow down and pay attention, you could slide in the asshole in front of you!

So be careful this winter!

This is a public announcement.

• Like 2