Thanks for the posting of this information Emily. It brings to mind a recent experience I had @ major hotel chain.

Interesting indeed. To think I used to find it annoying that some third world hotels and resorts I stay at the housekeeper spends an hour or more cleaning the room every day, washing everything which I used to think was a waste of time and effort as it was just all done the day before (of course everything sparkles when they are finally done), but now I have reconsidered :)

The Canadian standard of a 10 minute boogie job of make the bed, empty the waste baskets and maybe a 2 minute vacuum cleaner job (while less inconvenient) if you are trying to get some work done now seems a lot more dangerous.

Of course they only work so long and hard and make everything sparkle to get a good tip. One place I frequent I know the housekeepers get $2/day so the $5 tip I leave them everyday means a lot.

Edited by backrubman
Additional

This is just sickening!

I was sick to the stomach when I saw the footage showing a hotel worker wiping the toilet bowl or the lid with a rag, then wiping the counter, the sink and the faucet with the same rag! What was she thinking??? Didn't she get any training?

YIKES!! I knew it was bad but not this bad...I travel with Lysol and spray everything down, but will be doing extra sprays these days!

Also, for the sake of time and privacy I usually let the cleaning ladies get away with a quick once over; from now on I am going to ask them to do a thorough cleaning of everything.

This actually makes me want to quit travelling and just get my own place in Ottawa where I know it will be up to standard....

As somewhat of a germaphobe I was aware of the comforters and germ fillled rooms and have had my share of experiences. But be assured these bugs and germs like comfort and luxurious accommodations as well ,they don't just reside at economy motels they are widely found in pricey hotels as bugs and germs don't discriminate.

I watch Market Place religiously every Sunday and when I saw the preview I decided not to watch. Sometimes it's better to remain obliviousin situations that you have no control over. Other than packing your own pillows, sheets, blankets, towels and disinfectant (which I am highly considering for my upcoming stay at Lac leamy, there isn't much you can do! Oh my, my OCD will be in overdrive now!

I watched the first segment of this last night sitting in a hotel. I travel with medical grade disinfectants that are used for medical procedure rooms and wipe everything down; then Lysol spray the pillows etc. The problem is that the linens are there and we are "stuck" with them so to speak. That said, I believe that bacteria are absolutely everywhere so I don't lose sleep over it; I'm lucky enough that my immune system manages itself well and I'm not at high risk.

It's one of the reasons I love my incall space. It's mine to clean and control...

cat

Thinking about what is the chance a bed spread is getting washed between visitors, is why I always have a large towel to spread out over just a fitted sheet on the bed itself. all the sheets, blankets, comforters, etc, may seem like a good idea, or cosy or whatever, but to reassure myself and my guest, no one is going to be laying out on the sheets or covers, just on the towel itself.

It is easy to do also, I don't know how easy in a hotel room to get a lot of extra towels for this, of course.