Hotel for photoshoot

I have a photoshoot coming up and need some suggestions for a good hotel in Ottawa or Montreal to do this in.

She is looking for Boudoir/glamour type of pictures and I would like to have some big windows or similar to make it interesting. It has to be a hotel that doesn't bother you if you carry some camera equipment to the rooms, I have that happen in the past. I try to travel light but there are still some bags to carry.

If anyone of you have done this and have some recommendations they can share, please do so.

• Like 1

Although I wouldn't book it for an encounter (wee bit too pricey, would prefer to spend that money on a lady) would the Chateau Laurier in Ottawa do?

RG

A hotel should not have any issues with you bringing camera equipment in. They may look at you funny, but you could be in town for a shoot and just don't trust leaving it in your car overnight. They could not stop you from bringing it in. If you wanted to conceal it, you could pack most into a suitcase. (Some tripods fit diagonally within a suitcase most are a bit too long. Lightstands certainly wont) You could use a hockey stick bag / ski bag etc.. (A little early in the season for ski).

As for other suggestions, go for a room at the highest floor you can get. If you are shooting with her beside the window, the higher up, the less other people outside can see in. Also one with a view not facing other hotels would be good. (Of course if you are leaving curtains closed if they are not the thick kind it would act like a nice large softbox.

As for window shots, it gets dark pretty early this time of year so you'd have to be done the shoot before early evening ideally.

If you are choosing the room, ask for the ones with the smaller bed if possible. (More open area to put lights and such. Also ask if the bed can be moved. You might want/need to move it a few feet so the edge does not appear in a window shot for instance.

Before selecting a room, call and ask for the height. Hotels don't tend to have a lot of height and for lighting, if you can get even a foot higher from one hotel to another it might be worth it.

The typical glamour shot tips apply, there are hundred of sites which would have some.

If you have any specific questions, let me know.

I've never had an issue in any hotel carrying gear in. And hotels won't be bothering a guest bringing in gear for any reason other then disturbing other guests.

As for hotel recommendations, the two I'd recommend are the Chateau Laurier, or Albert at Bay. Obviously the former is a much more pricier option, and there are some limitations with space, but as long as you have a queen size bed room, and creative with that, you should be fine. The positives are that it has a high ceiling. And a slightly upscale interior. I say slightly because the last time I stayed there, I found it a bit dated.

But personally, I wouldn't shoot there.

I'd shoot at Albert at Bay. A lot more bang for your buck, you get an entire apartment (furnished). You can shoot a lot of different angles, work in different rooms. Downside to it is that it has smaller windows depending on the room, and ceilings are 8 feet high.

Montreal has a bunch of different options. And cheaper too imo. The Queen Elizabeth is pretty. But the Hilton in the financial district is also quite lovely if you get the suite.

Wow, those are certainly some nice rooms for shoots Genevieve.

Travelfreak,

Not sure what your budget is, but if you think those rooms are expensive, one thing I've seen many photographers do is try and make a boudoir day. That way you make sure you have enough clients that day to make it worth your while.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I was actually looking at the Laurier as they have big windows.

I had one hotel ask me what all the camera stuff was for, and I said that I didn't want to leave it in the car. But they told me it was using too much electricity and other BS, never went there again. A hockey bag has worked before. I just bring a couple of light stands and smaller diffusers like umbrellas and panels.

Genevieve, I was looking at those and also the W. Montreal has a little better selection that Ottawa in this case. A bit pricey but I don't really care if it is $$$ well spent. High ceilings and a bit of extra space is always nice, but not always there. You just have to be creative and use the space you have most efficiently. Makes for a good brainstorming session before we start to shoot anything.

To make a full day would be a lot of work, in many ways. First get the scheduling together and then keep sharp for a full day, not sure I'm up for that, yet. It is a good suggestion though.

Cheers,

I have never been at the Loft, good to know.

Last time I stayed at the Zero 1, also nice loft rooms that works for photo stuff.

And referring back to the full day thing, I'm not even sure I could fill it with more than a couple of ladies as I have only shot friends/acquaintances in the past.