Question About Cell Phones

Maybe should be posted in tech corner but I thought this section got more viewing which is why posted here

I'm headed to Florida Monday. I'm taking my cell phone with me.

How expensive is it to call from the cell phone from Florida

As for checking the internet, is it expensive on a cell phone from Florida to Canada

Don't know, never used a cell phone this long distance before

Thanks for any info

RG

Roaming (no pun intended.) is definetly pricey!

Best recommendation is to check with your wireless provider.

Could be up to $2/Minutes for voice and never tried using data on roaming network... scares me.

• Like 2

I probably should let someone who knows for sure answer RG, but I have heard real horror stories. I know I will not even take mine across the border.

• Like 1

The costs vary from provider to provider and depend on the package that you have. If you are looking to make local phone calls in florida to florida numbers, get a pay as you go sim card if you are there for more than a week and plan to make many phone calls its a worthwhile investment and much cheaper than roaming charges. As for the internet if your phone is a recent model you likely have wifi as an option, just buy a coffee at a coffee shop and hop on their complementary wifi service.

• Like 1

I will suggest an alternative. During my last trip I got a SIM card from Roam Mobility, a Vancouver company. If you have an unlocked cell, you get a US number and unlimited txt and calling in the US, and calls back to Canada for about $3 a day. You get the number permanently as long as you use it once a year.

You can also get a WiFi hotspot from them and use the same SIM to get 2 gigs of data for another $2. You only buy the days you want and can add to it by text anytime. I found it to be a great option.

• Like 1

Check with your provider, some offer a roaming package with so many phone minutes and wireless minutes. Rogers offers this $50 for x number of phone calls and x number of texts and x number of Internet usage.

• Like 2

When i used to travel and make alot of calls-years ago- my cell provider at the time would switch my plan around so all my incoming calls and outgoing calls would be cheaper for the time I was away. I'm sure they still do this as someone else suggested talk to your provider, lots of options out there-have a safe journey.

• Like 1

Thanks for the information everyone

I'll use the phone at dad's home then and only use my cell at Pearson to co-ordinate my pick up

And alas I like CERB but will be absent till my return to Canada :-(

RG

RG, i was just down recently...i'm with Bell and the rates are - 1.45/min roaming for calls, 75 cents a text and $6/MB. The Big Three are all the same.

Before you fly down i would turn off your mobile data off or at least set it up to not to roam. If you don't your internet will be on and will face a hefty bill next month...not worth it.

I would just use WIFI from the hotel or a local cafe instead.

You can call your provider and see what they offer but i would just get a sim card from one of the US carriers, much cheaper. I think T-mobile offers a prepaid plan and it equates to 3 dollars a day and you get long distance and unlimited internet, if i'm correct.

One note, you don't get charged roaming for having your phone on, only unless you make an actual phone call...some people turn their phone off, i don't...BUT make sure you turn mobile data OFF, this you will get charged.

• Like 1

Best thing to do is talk to your service provider (No not that sp, the one who provides your phone service ;) ). Tell them where you will be and for how long. They can tell you what it will cost and in some cases can even offer you some sort of package to cover you while you're gone. Always better to know ahead of time so you can plan for it.

Have a great trip.

• Like 2

Most providers have Data, and Cel packages to US and other destinations. What I normaly do is i get a decent data plan so i can use apps such viber and what's up to be able to txt and talk, apps that can also be used on wifi, and i also take the smallest package for talk and text in case of an emergency.. Try to avoid answering any useless calls,.. Enjoy your time in the US

• Like 1

It is ok to take your cell phone with you but be sure to turn off data completely if you have a data plan unless you make other arrangements. Just checking email in the background (you might have no idea the phone is doing it) with no active web surfing on your part can run up data costs fast.

As soon as I turn on my Bell phone in the US or Caribbean (or any country), I get an immediate text message from Bell saying welcome to where-ever, roaming rates are as follows... Note that turning off data doesn't stop text messages.

I often take my cell phone to a foreign country where using it would be a little expensive to use it but I just don't use it unless I have to.

When I am long term over-seas I usually have a pre-paid cell from that country and my regular phone as an expensive backup when all else fails.

I often use my cell phone to check email in a foreign country or even for web surfing, I just turn on free Wifi when it is available (and that is the case in most airports these days).

• Like 1

And alas I like CERB but will be absent till my return to Canada :-(

RG

If you are like most of us cerb-addicts here and cannot do without surfing it, you can always access through the Internet using a lap-top at a wifi hotspot or visit an Internet café. The cost ( you may know) is dirt cheap, typically -$2 for half an hour, or something like this.

• Like 1

If you are like most of us cerb-addicts here and cannot do without surfing it, you can always access through the Internet using a lap-top at a wifi hotspot or visit an Internet café. The cost ( you may know) is dirt cheap, typically -$2 for half an hour, or something like this.

Thanks for the information, but the reason for the visit isn't a vacation, but family (visiting dying father) I won't be able to leave the house to go to an internet cafe. Just was wondering about using my phone, because dad naps quite a bit now, and during his naps I could browse CERB on my phone. But in the greater scheme of things, it's really not important.

But thanks for the information

RG

• Like 1

Guest N***he**Ont**y

You can geta add on with providers to cover your data roaming charges for example Telus charges Ten dollars to cover roaming for a certain amount.

Don't forget that if there is wifi in the house you can connect there and not use any of your data. Just turn it off when leaving the house to be sure that you don't get dinged with roaming charges.

Good luck to you RG. I've said it before but my thoughts are with you during this time.

• Like 1