The dark side of prostitution

Guest S****r

We have all seen the documentaries on human trafficking into the sex trade, and heard tales of women and young girls who have been tricked into it and become enslaved. I have no doubt that these conditions and situations exist. It is such a far cry from our wonderful community here on cerb. I just wondered if anyone has stumbled across these conditions here in Canada.

To the degree to which you would be willing to share, I would be interested in hearing your stories.

If you prefer to PM me privately, that would be fine, too.

Soooo glad that this is not the situation for any of the women whom I know!

Not so much here in Canada, but there is a well publicized story on the internet regarding Amy Lyn Bradley, a young woman from the United States. Back in March of 1998, she and her family took a Carribean cruise on "The Rhapsody Of The Seas". During the cruise, Amy was befriended by several members of the crew. At one point, the cruise ship was docked at a port where her family noticed several unauthorized passengers being let on board. The crew members were also trying to entice Amy to go to "Carlos and Charlie's" with them in Aruba, but she declined. One evening, crew members were taking photos of all the passengers attending a special function. When Amy's family went to retrieve their photos for purchase, they noticed that every photo of Amy was somehow missing.

Shortly thereafter, the ship was docked in Curacao on March 24th 1998. Amy met up with one of the crew early that morning, and then disappeared. Despite a search and an investigation she was never found. It was reported that in 1999 there were several sightings of Amy, including one by a naval officer. He claimed to have been in a Curacao brothel where Amy approached him and asked for help. Because of the fact the officer was in the brothel unauthorized, he feared sanctions and thus did not report the incident until many years later, when he was retired. Amy's story was featured on "Dr. Phil", which included several photos of a prostitute suspected to be Amy, that were taken from a sex tourism website. Her family believe that Amy is still being held in servitude somewhere in the Carribean.

Guest B**na***oy

This is not just the dark side of prostitution, it's the dark side of humanity.

In itself, there's nothing wrong with prostitution, but the exploitation of innocent human beings by unscrupulous individuals is disgusting.

Long live CERB.

Guest S****r

Thanks, drlove,

We all know of stories in the media. I am wondering about anyone running into it personally. Maybe even in your travels outside of Canada. Thanks.

Last year there was a story here in Ottawa about it. A girl being held on the Gatineau side of the river. She was lured in by 2 girls and then there was a man involved too when they got her to the location.

So it does happen here too...

• Like 1

Thanks, drlove,

We all know of stories in the media. I am wondering about anyone running into it personally. Maybe even in your travels outside of Canada. Thanks.

As far as first hand encounters go, Halifax had a major problem with pimps / streetwalkers back in the late 1980's. I remember it since whenever my buddies and I would go driving around downtown on a Friday or Saturday night there would always be tons of girls lining Hollis Street. Unfortunately, many of the ladies were not there of their own volition. At the time, it seemed as though the police adopted a laissez faire attitude - that is, there was no real crackdown until 1992, when the story of the Halifax - Toronto pimping ring broke on the news. There is a book called "Somebody's Daughter" by Phonse Jessome, which chronicles the lives of ladies who found themselves caught up in "the game", as it was referred to.

The problem isn't the trade or prostitution. The problem is exploitation, luring, kidnapping, theft, violence, etc. all of which we already have sections to deal with in the criminal code.

It is just another way to enforce gender norms and societal expectations regarding sexual behaviors. The social problem of trafficking has been around for centuries and it is just another way for governments to say they are anti-sex work or anti-immigration without saying it. At the time of colonization of Canada the problem was "white women in traffic." Yet, at the time, the government was luring white women with advertisements to come over to Canada to form relationships with settlers. Now the main concern is racialized women or Indigenous women. A hundred years from now, I wonder what this so-called problem will look like.

There is literally millions of dollars poured into NGOs/non-profits/research that is being used to suggest there is a problem when in reality the problem is, like I said above, exploitation, luring, kidnapping, theft, violence, etc. all of which we already have sections to deal with in the criminal code--just as Miquelon mentioned.

Edited by kerrixoxo
edit
  • Like 5

Guest s******ecan****

A new release

is based on a true story of human trafficking.

Guest S****r

But have YOU ever inadvertently walked into a place which set your spidery senses tingling and gave you the wilies, making you think something was awry and not on the up and up. It just seems like with a community this large it is possible it has happened.

But maybe if it has happened, someone might not feel comfortable posting it. That's understandable.

Just curious what might be around us.

Not here, but in Dubai. Last time I went there, a friend of mine to me took this supposedly exclusive night club. The cars outside were pretty much luxury sedans or exotics (BMWs, Mercs, Jags, and then the Lambos, Ferraris, etc). Amazing place, super decked out, and it also had a lounge where people could take a break and smoke some sheesha.

Table across from ours there were these three guys, and a bunch of girls. Stunningly beautiful girls, but something felt off. Throughout the evening, something bugged me about that picture, but I didn't say anything. The thought of prostitution didn't even occur to me as this was Dubai, and when I grew up in the city, it was before the excesses that has made the city so famous.

The girls were relatively quiet, only laughing half-heartedly when then guys were. Then one of the girls said or did something that apparently upset one of the guys and he roughly grabbed her face with one hand, yelled something in Arabic, and then shoved her face away. And no one around said or did anything. Some people noticed but didn't seem disgusted or had any sort of reaction to what the guy did. Just continued what they were doing.

And it finally clicked as to who the girls were, or more specifically what they were probably there for. My friend said that over the last few years, it was increasingly common to see these girls in hotels and nightclubs, and rarely seen anywhere else. The police kept a blind eye to it as long as it never happened in the more culturally sensitive areas, and out of sight from family friendly areas. But it is highly illegal, punishable with years in prison for the girls, at most a slap on the wrists for the locals. Most of the girls I was told come from Eastern Europe. They make enough money that they usually accept the rough treatment, and it's too dangerous to speak up. Their only option is to leave.

I have seen this out in Victoria , BC. Was at a bar and was waiting in line to get in. There was a bunch of Asians girls, very beautiful and exotic. They were obviously being controlled by an older Asian lady. She kept making sure they were standing up straight up, smiling and looking great. Didn't understand what she was saying them, but it was clear to everyone that they were being controlled. I was upset about this, and wanted to go up to the girls, but these 2 guys came forward to me and obviously wanted to make sure I made no connection to these beautiful girls. The lady paid no attention to me, but it was also obvious that the girls didn't want to make a connection with me for fear. I understand there is a cultural difference, but I was heartbroken. These were beautiful women, and I have always loved women. I hate anyone being exploited and this was my first experience seeing someone being OBVIOUSLY exploited and so many at the same time. It happens here, you just have to open your eyes and see.

I rarely go out to bars now. It upset me this much.

I have had a number of experiences that left my spider senses tingling. I have had complete strangers contact me who have attempted to fly me to florida, las vegas without even introducing themselves.

In winnipeg, I do believe there are a few groups and individuals who target the newer ladies aiming to profit off them, whether by theft or intimidation. For my safety I will keep this short. I urge any provider to have safety procedures in measure, and do not share them with anyone, (including potential love interests)

Having spoken with several younger sp's here along with the increase in scams, drug use and BBFS providers often mentioned recently in winnipeg is a sure sign that these ladies are falling victim to individuals they thought they could trust.

If you are a service provider and you feel you may be in danger of exploitation, violence or have been a victim of sexual assault there are several resources and phone numbers you can acquire by contacting the DREAMCATCHERS program at KLINIC COMMUNITY HEALTH.