Happy 90th birthday, Bettie Page

That's right... had she lived, Bettie Page would have been 90 years old today.

BettyPage11.jpgbettie_page8.jpgBettie+page1.jpgbettiepage-1.jpg

Bettie was one incredible lady. She was born in 1923 and really came into her own in her late twenties... she was bored, single and underemployed when she was approached by a man with a camera... and that's when things just took off.

In 1951 there was no Playboy, no Penthouse, no Hustler... there were men's magazines but they were pulp. Wink, Twitter, Eyefull and Beauty parade... they were kept under the counter out of the view of "respectable" people... and Bettie was in ALL of them.

Bettie stood out. She was beautiful. The camera loved her. She had no inhibitions. She did all the shots, fetish, bikini, topless, nude, and --gasp-- she wasn't shy about showing her pubic hair. It took nearly 20 years for magazines to catch up to her... but by then, her star had waned... at least she thought it had.

For years she had no idea of just how popular she was... she had found religion in the late 50's - and faded into obscurity by the early 60's. She was an enigma through the 60's and 70's... then things changed. Artists began to discover her beauty. Authors became more interested in her story. The sexual revolution had occurred and they deified this obscure star of days gone by... and she had no idea.

Bettie battled demons and not just the biblical kind. She battled schizophrenia in the late 70's; she was institutionalized for nearly 10 years between 1979 and 1992. When she finally got out of the hospital, she was a legend. In her 70's, unbeknownst to her, she was again a star.

Bettie died 5 years ago in December 2008. At 85, she was the oldest living Playboy Playmate (January 1955) and had finally received the stardom she so rightly deserved. Her estate currently benefits to the tune of over $6 million (US) annually.

800px-Bettie_Page_grave_at_Westwood_Village_Memorial_Park_Cemetery_in_Brentwood%2C_California.JPG

So now when you see a cute little old lady walking down the street... think about it. At one time, she may have been another Bettie Page!

• Like 6

I love Betty Page, pin up girl fashion ( makes me want to do photos like that) and that whole 50's era. She was the quintessential pin up girl. Her bio was a very interesting read. May she rest in peace!

• Like 2

I loved her look, unique, sexy and strong, a triple threat. I wish we were more like other cultures where the aged are revered and more respected. Beauty, sex appeal are certainly admirable so is doing your own thing, how many seniors rocked in their day? We'll only know if we take an interest in them, respect them and get to know them. I love having conversations and spending time with older folks, some have the most interesting stories to tell and it sometimes shocks me how brutally honest, forthright and naughty they can be.:icon_biggrin:

Edited by cr**tyc***es
  • Like 4

She was a great beauty, and a woman of intelligence who helped create incredibly alluring images imbued with a sense of fun, lively sexiness.

Definitely held a special place for me when I was figuring out all thing sexual.

Happy birthday, Bettie!

Bettie has a personal impact in my space and I love the impact she had when she was doing her own thing and daring others to say anything. She was truly beautiful and a trailblazer. Quintessential strong amazing lady.

I just found a 1996 interview with her... really kinda cool!

• Like 1