assisted suicide-should it be legalized

The following is explicitly my own personal opinion and does not reflect the conscience or physical actions of any other person; now or in the future.

I think a good majority of the medical practice does understand the condition those who are terminally ill and under their care are in. Quietly giving them the options they can. For example full control over a morphine drip or other options.

The problem is the public gets the issue very confuse bringing in all sorts of additional aspects because, once again, this issue touches close to home. We will all have to face death at some point. As a society North America hasn't a good track record in preparing its citizens to talk about death. This makes it very difficult for someone to grieve properly in many cases. You can't just "get over it" and be back at work in next week. It is uniquely different for each person, yet, common to us all.

Wgat we can do however, is insist that a person's dignity is maintained throughout the medical system. This does not have to be in life or death situations, it is equally important for all people receiving care. Sending a strong signal to the staff and medical professional.

A number of years ago, my father, who was in his late 60s and I believe the first practicing anesthesiologist with polio in Canada in the late 1950s suffered a major heart attack. During his first week of hospitalization some staff member changed the name above his bed from "Dr. Clark" to just "Mr. Clark". My sister noticed this before anyone else including myself and exploded, rightly so, at the staff and bureaucracy who didn't see it as such large issue. Anything that reduces a person's dignity must be corrected because it does matter a great deal to the person receiving the care. This in holds true for all circumstances whether it be terminal illness or a simple visit to the doctor's office because, frequently dignity is chipped away in small stages

It's all about acknowledging and respecting people.

PatrickGC

• Like 1

As others have said, it's very important to discuss this with your nearest and dearest while it's still a future possibility, and before it becomes a real issue. I had a couple of long conversations with my parents and siblings about this over Christmas (festive, huh? :) ) - my parents have done quite a bit of thinking about it, and have made a point of making sure their wishes are clearly and unambiguously written down. Those include both courses of action that are currently legal (DNR, withholding treatment, etc) and those that aren't yet but may become so (a graceful exit with active assistance from a third party). It also covers the circumstances under which others may take control of their affairs, and who those others are. I've done the same.

It's all a bit morbid, but I think it really ought to be done... and if you haven't had these conversations with your own families yet, it might be an idea to do so. If nothing else, let them know your wishes (after all, you never know when you might be incapacitated), and remember that when the time comes, written instructions are far better than a badly-remembered conversation from several years ago. And if you find it tough to broach the subject with your own parents, it may be that telling them your wishes will get them to at least think about the question.

Of course, the big problem with all of this, when you're dealing with a person who's on the way out, is the potential for abuse, especially when there's nothing written down; it's an unfortunate fact that there are those who will abuse this sort of thing to get rid of people with malice aforethought, and any legalization of euthanasia would have to address this.

Finally, my recollection from previous reading on the subject is that it happens all the time, even without being legal. It seems that many medical professionals have had that moment when the family, or the patient themselves, look you in the eye and ask, "Is there nothing you can do?"... and you know exactly what they mean. And so, if the doctor is willing, a dose of the painkillers that the patient's already on is given, but the doctor forgets to record it on the chart, and so the next doctor to come round a few minutes later repeats the dose... and what happens, happens. It would certainly be better if there were some sort of legal way of doing this.

• Like 2

I know of three instances, all cancer, where the bedridden victims howled out in pain and begged to be killed. I don't know if the hospitals are trying to cut costs by cutting back on pain meds or what, but fuck it if I ever get in that position. You work your ass off until the end, then you open the booze,

start the generator, get shit ass drunk, and then walk through the shed door and then into the next world. Easy peasy.

• Like 1

I think it must be legalized but with stringent conditions to prevent abuse- such as children putting pressure on parents to undergo the process so as to gain an inheritance. I am certain it will be legalized by mid-century in many first-world countries. In the meantime those who have not had somebody dear to them afflicted with a terminal illness and undergoing severe pain must cease pontificating about the sanctity of life. I am reminded of the holy and pure and protector-of-life judge who, at sentencing, humiliated the late Dr. Kevorkian for having helped a terminally-ill patient take her life. I wonder what the judge would do were she or someone dear to her to face the same circumstances as the individual who turned to Kevorkian for help.

Edited by lipualipua
punctuation
  • Like 2

Guest R**ee**ov***9

Coming from someone who has depression, I would have to say that they should have to have a psychiatric evaluation before making said decision on their own..

Coming from someone who has depression, I would have to say that they should have to have a psychiatric evaluation before making said decision on their own..

That is a very good point Rylee, I agree in some cases but not all, for example the terminally ill and those crippled with pain, they shouldn't have to deal with red tape and interference. I'm not sure how one could separate them but dying with dignity is everyone's right, thank you for your reply.

Having a psychological/psychiatric assessment first seems like a good idea, but there is a double aged sword with that. And that is the mental health community is predisposed to think that wanting to take/end your own life is a behaviour needing psychological intervention in order to prevent the person from taking his/her life.

Also how do you differentiate between someone depressed, and someone who is down because they are terminally ill and in pain, and no longer alive, just living and would prefer assisted suicide to alleviate the suffering and to die with dignity

The point raised is a good one.

RG

Edited by r__m__g_uy
  • Like 1

Tough topic and one that the gov't of Canada has been wrestling with for many years. It is not easy to watch a loved one suffer, but it is also not easy for the person suffering to make the decision to end their own life as well. This topic has to do with the morals and religious beliefs of our Canadian society and it will probably take a while for anything to change as our society still believes that all human life is precious and it is a crime to end it prematurely. I think there is a fear of a slippery slope that if we allow this then folks may want to commit suicide due to mental illness issues, etc. Yet, no one knows anyone else's pain and suffering until you have walked a mile in their shoes. I don't think any of us can judge anyone who wants to chose assisted suicide. I just feel bad for them that life has gotten so rotten that they feel this is the only way to gain peace.