Green thumbs, share your knowledge...show off your garden!

I am doing a garden this year. It has been few years since I took part in my garden hobby. So I am a bit rusty at it.

This year I got a topsy turvy tomatoe plant hanger. I will hang it on my balconie. I am considering other containor plants, but unsure which works best in containors or not. Perhaps green pepers?

My question, is it too soon to hang my tomaotes outside? I have cuttings that are about 6" tall now. I am in NB, and the weather is hot already. This morning ( 7am) is 13c.

I am also planting in the ground. Will be doing split peas, lettuce, onions, zuccini, cucumbers...what night time temp am I looking for?

• Like 3

Great idea for a thread, thank you:) Although I'm not much of a green thumb or gardener I do love plants. I don't have a place for a veggie garden but I do plant flowers, shade plants mostly, but there isn't a lot to choose from. Its nice to see things grow and bloom:)

Edited by cr**tyc***es

Great idea for a thread, thank you:) Although I'm not much of a green thumb or gardener I love plants. I don't have a place for a vegie garden but I do plant flowers, shade plants mostly, but there isn't a lot to choose from. Its nice to see things grow and bloom:)

I got my toppsy turvy tomatoe plant hanger at a dollar store. Super easy!! Just fill with soil, your tomatoe plant goes upside down in the 'bag" and suppose to yelid up to 30lbs of tomatoes!! I am using an organic soil:)

Might hang another one for peppers too!

• Like 1

Although I don't have a garden, I'm also very interested in plants. I am interested in doing a wall garden project. The fixtures to hang the plants can be pricey though, so I have to do my research.

Here is what I'm talking about.

th?id=H.4638200616976933&pid=1.7&w=148&h=148&c=7&rs=1

Or this

th?id=H.4580824169121851&pid=1.7&w=198&h=148&c=7&rs=1

Also here's a great idea for a herb garden, or even a tomato garden, pricy but tidy and can be done indoors.

http://www.aerogarden.com/aerogardens/aerogarden-ultra-1.html

ultra_ff_gh_1.jpg

agex_800x800.jpg

Great thread! I've always been interested in plants and have planted container herb gardens on my balcony with success. I'm now growing a few basics like mint, parsley and basil from my kitchen window. I've tried the Aerogarden and it produced a very generous amount of lettuce and herbs. The unit and accessories are pricey but considering grocery store prices, I think it still works out to be more reasonable and organic.

I recently added ferns, ivy's and other air cleaning plants to help improve my indoor air quality. My pride and joy right now is an orchid that's in full bloom. I now want a second and have a slight addiction. Planting and potting is very relaxing.

I've always wanted to try the topsy turvy upside down tomato hanger Sophia. They have a strawberry one too I think?

I'm trying this next. How to grow your own sprouts from a McDonalds salad container of all things? :)

• Like 1

So I checked out the topsy turvy tomato plant hanger and I think it's a great idea. For some reason I feel like planting tomato's now, big smile. Another great idea for people who live in apartments.

Topsy-Turvy-Tomato-Planter.jpg

Can't hang it from the balcony, get one of these guys and make sure its not going to fall over.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRnAmw7PV6U_1Mvi-YQS5whpsDrNIKsTeaZdIxMUAkdFSHYibEN

Found out, you can also use the toppsy turvey for Green peppers as well! I am excited for my little garden:) I have also just picked up a container you set on your deck railing, but one also for my balcony, I have peppers, hot peppers and more tomatoes:)

I have them outside right now but will bring them in tonight as it is still cool a bit.

I used to have a vegetable patch for years.

Best tips?

Wherever you plant, make sure it's going to get sun.

May 24 is usually the earliest I would plant, you want to make sure that you are out of the risk period for frost at night.

Radishes. Plant them early and often. They break up the soil for other stuff, they grow quickly and the little buggers are actually tasty.

Edge your veggie patch with : Marigolds, nasturtium and green onions. Woodland creatures love veggies, but they DON'T eat the aforementioned. The anti animal barrier keeps the veggies safer PLUS you can eat the onions and the nasturtium... the flowers have a peppery taste - great to add a little colour to a garden salad!

Green and Yellow beans. Plant a couple of rows. They are so good PLUS they are easy to grow.... the yield is fairly high. One of those plants that makes you feel like a gardener - they are very forgiving.

Poo. No, not you. Get bagged animal poo (sheep poop is great, and please don't follow farm animals with a baggy), some black soil and a rototiller. Spread the fertilizer and black soil on your veggie patch and then give it all a good mixing with the rototiller. This is the prep you NEED to do before planting anything.

Water daily. Plants love that stuff and it allows the fertilizer to work better. Don't over water... your plants can't swim and you don't want to promote rot.

WEED. Anything green that is NOT what you planted has to be removed.

Grow cantaloupes. They are delicious and they look like boobies.

• Like 1

Plant after May 24 is the best plan, we use lots of sheep manure and rototill it in. The garden is large and then there are 3 raised boxes through out the yard. There's black, red and gold raspberries, corn, cauliflower, carrots, green and yellow beans, peas, spinach, celery, broccoli, strawberries, tomatoes, potatoes, zucchini, parsnips and beets.

Stagger the corn so it's not all ready at the same time. Just harvested last years parsnips and they are lovely and large.

Am able to eat out of the garden for about 6 months of the year... tasty..

Peace

MG

• Like 1

Plant after May 24 is the best plan, we use lots of sheep manure and rototill it in. The garden is large and then there are 3 raised boxes through out the yard. There's black, red and gold raspberries, corn, cauliflower, carrots, green and yellow beans, peas, spinach, celery, broccoli, strawberries, tomatoes, potatoes, zucchini, parsnips and beets.

Stagger the corn so it's not all ready at the same time. Just harvested last years parsnips and they are lovely and large.

Am able to eat out of the garden for about 6 months of the year... tasty..

Peace

MG

Raspberries are awesome.... I had a raspberry hedge between my place and the neighbours place... it completely covered the fence between our yards. We both loved the outcome. Raspberries as big as the end of your thumb and bursting with flavour.

Raspberries are awesome.... I had a raspberry hedge between my place and the neighbours place... it completely covered the fence between our yards. We both loved the outcome. Raspberries as big as the end of your thumb and bursting with flavour.

a few years ago I had white raspberry garden:)

and purple potatoes, and UFO zuccini, lol

UFO_zucchini.jpg

I've got a 14ft x 20ft green house that I use and I'm just getting ready to plant everything in this weekend. Even with the greenhouse it still gets pretty cold in the nighttime here on the island. Tomato's, peppers, cucumbers, lettuce, herbs. I love it!

• Like 1

Although I don't have a garden, I'm also very interested in plants. I am interested in doing a wall garden project. The fixtures to hang the plants can be pricey though, so I have to do my research.

Here is what I'm talking about.

th?id=H.4638200616976933&pid=1.7&w=148&h=148&c=7&rs=1

Or this

th?id=H.4580824169121851&pid=1.7&w=198&h=148&c=7&rs=1

These wall gardens are very unique and beautiful, Peachy. Thanks for sharing. This is a good idea if you do not have a lot of garden space. All you need is a wall with perhaps quite a bit of sun.

For regular gardening, I find that growing zuchini, potatoes, tomatoes, green beans, brussel sprouts, squashes such as butternuts, green onions and garlic are very rewarding. It is so gratifying when you get up in the morning, walk out to your deck, and pick and eat those sweet and juicy cherry tomatoes off the plants in the summer! Before those chipmunks and squirrels get to them first, of course!

I love gardening. I have an herb box & a veggie patch and love the zen of it.

I have lemon trees in my topsy turvy thingy.

living in the county i used to grow a lot of veg's i have not done so in a little bit thou. i would say to grow green beans, tomato's, green onions, and lettuces are the best, especially if you are new to gardening as they are easy to grow no matter the soil conditions and have high yields. for people who live an apartments without a lot of space i also recommend trying a herb garden. i had one sitting on my window in the house in a little 2x5 planter. also the fresh basil, and chives were great in my cooking.

living in the county i used to grow a lot of veg's i have not done so in a little bit thou. i would say to grow green beans, tomato's, green onions, and lettuces are the best, especially if you are new to gardening as they are easy to grow no matter the soil conditions and have high yields. for people who live an apartments without a lot of space i also recommend trying a herb garden. i had one sitting on my window in the house in a little 2x5 planter. also the fresh basil, and chives were great in my cooking.

I have both a yard gargen( will have, need to till it) and an apartment balcony. on the balcony are tomatoes, green/red peppers, and hot peppers

on the ground, I will have split peas. Nothing like fresh peas in the summer:) Old Dog's suggestion cantalops, looking forward to that! Sweet potatoe, zuccini, my herbs are, basil, moijto mint for my fav summer cocktail, lemon balm, lemon thyme, probably get more. I just love the aroma the comes from these as you walk by.

For the zucchini and cucumbers, wait until later in May to plant them out (another two weeks or so, probably). Everything else can go in the ground now (peas, lettuce, and onions are all "cold weather" crops).

As for the hanging basket of tomatoes... You could probably put them outside now, but you will want to watch the weather and bring the basket in over-night if it starts getting below 5 degrees celcius.

As for other container plants...

Herbs work well in small containers (of course).

You can potentially grow radishes in a container (about 3" deep, maybe?) and I hear that carrots do well when grown in lengths ABS pipe (group the pips tightly together in a bin of sandy soil, and put one seed into the top of each pipe - it will keep them from growing into weird shapes and make them easier to harvest).

You can definitely do bell peppers in a container, although you may not get many in your harvest. Hot peppers do well in containers, too.

You can also grow leafy greens (chard, kale, cut-and-come-again lettuce mixes) and strawberries (in hanging baskets, like your tomatoes) in containers. :-)

Are you going to do any companion planting? (Nasturtiums with cucumbers, basil & merigolds with tomatoes, peas and beans with heavy feeders like squash and cukes).

I'm excited about my garden - spread across the yards of many friends, as I don't have a space of my own. Can't wait to start planting my winter squashes! :-D

-Tess

• Like 1