Google Glass, and the implications thereof

So, a hypothetical question... for now, but one which will become real in the not-too-distant future.

Ladies, picture the scene... you've arranged to meet someone; possibly a new client, maybe someone you've seen before. He arrives. You open the door to your incall, and as he steps in, you notice he's wearing the latest in technology... those all-seeing, all-recording spectacles which Google has announced recently.

They take pictures and video on demand. Hopefully all that stuff is turned off, but... it may not be, either through neglect or malice. Hell, the camera could already be recording, and you won't have a clue whether or not this is the case.

What do you do? You can ask for them to be turned off and left in a pocket, perhaps, but if anything was being recorded when you opened the door then all your effort at obscuring your face in photos is suddenly, potentially blown, if your visitor is either careless or has more nefarious intent. It's a nasty problem. I see no good solution.

And, guys... cool though they may be, if you get these things... never, ever, wear them to a meeting with a SP! Yes, I know many of you are thinking, "Well, obviously!" - but I suspect this is going to end up like the threads on hygiene and no-shows and negotiating rates and all those other things that you'd hope would be obvious but nevertheless pop up over and over and over again.

Guest ot***amal***
So, a hypothetical question... for now, but one which will become real in the not-too-distant future.

Ladies, picture the scene... you've arranged to meet someone; possibly a new client, maybe someone you've seen before. He arrives. You open the door to your incall, and as he steps in, you notice he's wearing the latest in technology... those all-seeing, all-recording spectacles which Google has announced recently.

They take pictures and video on demand. Hopefully all that stuff is turned off, but... it may not be, either through neglect or malice. Hell, the camera could already be recording, and you won't have a clue whether or not this is the case.

What do you do? You can ask for them to be turned off and left in a pocket, perhaps, but if anything was being recorded when you opened the door then all your effort at obscuring your face in photos is suddenly, potentially blown, if your visitor is either careless or has more nefarious intent. It's a nasty problem. I see no good solution.

And, guys... cool though they may be, if you get these things... never, ever, wear them to a meeting with a SP! Yes, I know many of you are thinking, "Well, obviously!" - but I suspect this is going to end up like the threads on hygiene and no-shows and negotiating rates and all those other things that you'd hope would be obvious but nevertheless pop up over and over and over again.

Yeah these are going to be a problem everywhere but yes I can definitely see them being a problem in the sp/hobbying world. Someone could leave them to record to. While I'm not overly creative I think the wrong person with these will probably find even worse uses.

The Privacy Commissioners are looking into these already through I read in an article the other day. Hopefully they'll have a response on how to address privacy implications before they make it to the general public. Also I'm sure there's some way to jam the stupid things along the same lines as cell phones if it came to it.

Many apartment buildings give residents the option to see whoever is using the enterphone--connected by video to their television--before they let them into the building. I've long been advised to do something similar with a discretely-hidden video camera outside my door. I haven't felt a need to do this, but when the Google glasses become widely used, I will probably take this advice and not allow anyone I don't know to come into my place if they're wearing glasses.

Unfortunately, you don't have to wait for Google glasses. To a lesser extent, but no less important in the discussion, are other technologies which have as intrusive potentials already on the market and are in use.

How well lock down is the average smart phone? A great number of the applications that run on these devices are not well written and are exploitable. Now to be fair, most manufacturers insurer that the operating system software is protected by an "unpublished" password. That makes it somewhat more difficult but not impossible to lose information to the outside world. But I am seeing a worrying trend with the application software that people are adding to their devices, that being ease of use and popularity superseding safety and privacy. People did not seem to understand the impact of giving away a ones information or privacy anymore. One cannot be totally reliant on governmental or industry policies.

To that end, if I were a service provider I would insist before hand that all wireless etc. devices be turned off or left at home. In addition if I could do so without violating the laws I would also consider local jamming equipment. This may seem an extreme step. However, I deal with technology and to some extent with security on devices and in the absence of the knowledgeable average consumer, think this would be a reasonable step.

The same would go for clients. We need to help insurer that the technology we use is secure. That means becoming familiar with our devices. As things become more interconnected I think the individual must become more involved in requiring that the manufacturers of products have clearly articulated privacy and ethical standards.

Apologies for the brief rant. I just cleaned a friend's computer who had their Google account compromised. No fault of Google's. It was as far as we can tell a video player application on some site which installed third-party software by default which was not secure.

PatrickGC

• Like 1

Very simple answer, I will simply add "NO GLASSES TO BE WORN" like my other non negotiable rule... NO SOCKS ONCE NAKED!

cat

• Like 7

Well most (not all) apartments, hotels etc have peepholes to see who is standing at your door. If a guy shows up at the door wearing one of those glasses she doesn't have to open the door. In fact she could put in her website anyone showing up wearing one of those will have their encounter refused with donation forfeited...something along the same lines as a prospective client showing up intoxicated.

My god, is everything so techno oriented now that even when spending a special intimate moment with a beautiful lady, something to be shared and cherished between two people, and you still need to be plugged in 24/7

A rambling

RG

• Like 2

My god, is everything so techno oriented now that even when spending a special intimate moment with a beautiful lady, something to be shared and cherished between two people, and you still need to be plugged in 24/7

That's exactly the question which people need to consider Roamingguy. Indeed what is the point of all this connectedness? I see a lot of feedback junkies out there, people who are using technology not for the potential benefits of reaching out, but rather, just to pass the time with the illusion of involvement.

There is something unquantifiable about sharing an experience with another human being that is so fundamental and critical to well-being which cannot be reproduced by technology. It is my hope, that in a few years enough people well reach their technological saturation point and level off in its use.

Give me a night out with a friend or a deer sex worker, candlelight, a touch of wine perhaps, is all that is needed. Humanity after all is the original and best technology. Best of all-"No Internet Connection Required"

PatrickGC

• Like 1

I started a thread a couple months ago concerning these glasses when I first heard of them. Their possible intrusiveness worried me. But soon nothing we do will be private, everyone and everything will be able to film or take pictures of you at anytime, big brother is watching more and more. Bu no sense of being paranoid or worrying about it. what happens happens. :)

Guest S****r

This is disturbing. I don't like it. And regarding peepholes: my apt has one, but the field is so narrow, about all I can tell is how tall the person is! They would have to stand in just one particular spot, and at the right height to tell if they were wearing glasses.

Guest jrose

Here's a quick search for an anti google glass device you can bring with you if you happen to visit and the guy says he won't take them off or put them away

http://images.google.ca/search?site=&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1145&bih=941&q=electrical+taple&oq=electrical+taple&gs_l=img.3...491.3306.0.3553.16.11.0.5.4.0.99.987.11.11.0...0.0...1ac.1.14.img.KPCEZ5_QM2g#tbm=isch&q=electrical+tape&spell=1&sa=X&ei=r7-eUbfsBKXLyQHBvYDwAQ&ved=0CFAQvwUoAA&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.47008514,d.aWc&fp=7557e49b730cd78e&biw=1145&bih=941

Note I said guy, not gentleman, because a gentleman would not have these on or not turned off in the first place without permission.

The fundamental issue is: Where does one draw the line regarding freedom versus personal space? This has many ramifications, not just limited to video.

Every person needs to be able to control their level of privacy. It is about being able to define a personal life. What must be guarded against is the slow erosion of privacy. We are, after all, responsible for "Big Brother". I get just a little nervous because, He has not behaved well historically.

PatrickGC

Simply put, maybe I will have to have a little basket where glasses, cell phones, watches and keys can be put into it with a lid on it of some sort. It can be put in view in bedroom so customers don't have to worry about their belongings. This will also serve as a useful purpose since many people have forgotten things at my place and had to come back for them when I called them. Who the hell would want to wear these? They look dorky looking. If someone comes to visit me with these on, the door will be closed in their face.

no-google-glass-600x444.jpg?hash=BQHjBTL1AJ&upscale=1

• Like 2

Simply put, maybe I will have to have a little basket where glasses, cell phones, watches and keys can be put into it with a lid on it of some sort. It can be put in view in bedroom so customers don't have to worry about their belongings. This will also serve as a useful purpose since many people have forgotten things at my place and had to come back for them when I called them. Who the hell would want to wear these? They look dorky looking. If someone comes to visit me with these on, the door will be closed in their face.

no-google-glass-600x444.jpg?hash=BQHjBTL1AJ&upscale=1

Haha. You are right! They do look quite dorky, but as a Nerd I can't wait to test out the capabilities of these babies!!!

Some of the things it can do, or the advancements they will make of these are going to be incredible. These remind me of a new pair of Oakley snowboarding goggles with a tv/movie screen made inside of it.

Then again I'm smart enough not to bring it to a ladies place for fun nor to my weekly SC rendezvous. :)

Simply put, maybe I will have to have a little basket where glasses, cell phones, watches and keys can be put into it with a lid on it of some sort. It can be put in view in bedroom so customers don't have to worry about their belongings. This will also serve as a useful purpose since many people have forgotten things at my place and had to come back for them when I called them.

Good idea. Better yet, make it a steel box, and make sure it's connected to ground, so devices cant transmit or receive data. And as a bonus... no phones ringing halfway through, ever again :)

Who the hell would want to wear these? They look dorky looking. If someone comes to visit me with these on, the door will be closed in their face.

For now. Give it a few years, and these things will be getting to the point where they won't be readily distinguishable from a regular pair of glasses. I don't want to sound alarmist, but I don't think it's too early to be thinking about this stuff. Someone, somewhere is going to get badly burned by it; I hope it's nobody here.

For now. Give it a few years, and these things will be getting to the point where they won't be readily distinguishable from a regular pair of glasses. I don't want to sound alarmist, but I don't think it's too early to be thinking about this stuff. Someone, somewhere is going to get badly burned by it; I hope it's nobody here.

Agreed Phaedrus :

It is not so much the device. It is the potential for misuse of the features and services offered. There are technologies coming on stream that could potentially do the same as these glasses only on the surface of a contact lens. Here's an article from 2009 detailing the technology and procedures of possible manufacture of internet-enabled contact lenses. -the article is quite technical and parts, however well worth the read.

http://spectrum.ieee.org/biomedical/bionics/augmented-reality-in-a-contact-lens

Earlier today I was shocked when a friend of mine, without considering the ramifications, turned on all of the advanced video features on their new smart phone. Instant uploads to Face Book etc. They were hooked on the new technology very quickly. This is an adult not a child, and admittedly most of us including myself to find the incredible ease of use very alluring. But it is very important to consider the impact this has on everyone. No action is truly isolated.

PatrickGC

• Like 2

I'm not sure what these google glasses look like or if they are easily identifiable but that just mean I get to hold their hand once I walk through the door and take of my glasses. Well I'm not that blind yet but could be a pain since I like to see clearly the person I'm with.

Good idea. Better yet, make it a steel box, and make sure it's connected to ground, so devices cant transmit or receive data. And as a bonus... no phones ringing halfway through, ever again :)

I agree. It's just like GPS capability on a cell phone. Big Brother is watching!

I would reply if someone showed up for a call with these on "well, how would you feel if I had them on when you showed up. Would you want me to be filming our encounter?".

I'm always leary when going for an outcall. I check everywhere to make sure they don't have any hidden cameras. No red lights. Laptops closed etc. I would hate to find out that our time together was recorded.

Creeps me out.

Very simple answer, I will simply add "NO GLASSES TO BE WORN" like my other non negotiable rule... NO SOCKS ONCE NAKED!

cat

You took the words out of my mouth! I suppose we need to start adding this to our ads, lol...as part of our booking protocols. Geesh, this is gonna get to be like reading fine print to a contract, sign here, initial here...subclause this that and the other thing.

• Like 2