Why I Told "Dave" he Needed a CellPhone to see me

This is for "Dave" from Toronto who called me from a Toronto area code which you later admitted was a calling card because you did not have a cell phone or Ottawa based phone even though you were working in Ottawa for the summer.

You had called me a few times requesting an evening or weekend in-call appointment to which I told you I could not do due to the fact I had a roommate. I told you to check back because I was planning on working out of another location, but it was a smoking apt., so it never panned out.

It so happens though that my roommate went away on Wednesday so I was offering in-calls that evening. You made an appointment for 9:00 p.m. Since you did not have a cell phone, I directed to the nearest payphone two blocks away and asked you to call me when you got there so I could give you my street address, as I do not give this out until I know the person is actually in my neighbourhood.

I told you if you got lost to pull over and call me. I directed you via Innes Road which has gas stations etc. - no shortage of phones.

When I had not heard from you by 9:15, I figured you were a no-show.

A minute later, another guy called. I told him I was expecting someone else and wanted to give it a few more minutes. He said to call him back but he needed to know by 9:30.

You called at 9:20 and said you were really lost. You told me the name of the cross street you were at which did not sound familiar to me. So I told you that I had to call this person back, and to call me back in 5 minutes so I could figure out where you were so I could direct you here.

I called the second guy and cancelled. He said we'd make it another time. I waited for you to call. At 9:45, one of friends called and asked if I was free and said he'd drop by soon. I figured you weren't phoning back, so I told him he may as well come over. Just as he called to say he was 5 minutes away, you called back. It was 10:10, 50 minutes later.

You asked if there was any way I could still see you. I was not about to ditch my friend, so I told you it was too late. Truth was I slightly miffed would rather pass than give you bad service.

So, you see, this is why I ask clients to have a cell phone, so I can direct them to my visitors parking, they call me when they're there and then I give them the address. I also have a record of their number (for my safety).

Since you were so polite and seemed genuine, I went against my better judgement and was willing to allow you to come to my home anyways.

I am sorry it didn't work out. But I tried, and we both lost out.

I know there are some people who hate or don't have cell phones, but I can't do business any other way unless I know you first.

Perhaps you will see my ad in Toronto announcements that I am visiting in September and we can work something out.

I would appreciate any feedback others might have.

Guest s******ecan****

Seems to me you handled it very graciously Angela. Your safety has to come first.

Not just safety, but convenience. Also, more no-shows from guys calling from payphones and blocked numbers.

Thanks guys.

Not just safety, but convenience. Also, more no-shows from guys calling from payphones and blocked numbers.

Thanks guys.

That's why I NEVER answer those, ;)

Shaw digital phone states if it's a payphone, and blocked calls don't even ring through. Long distance calls go right to voicemail, you don't leave me a message, then tough luck:razz:

Thanks guys.

I use to PM for my dates then call from a payphone. Then I found out about 7-11 and PetroCanada pay-as-you-go phones. Never looked back.

That's why I NEVER answer those, ;)

Shaw digital phone states if it's a payphone, and blocked calls don't even ring through. Long distance calls go right to voicemail, you don't leave me a message, then tough luck:razz:

I don't think we have that option available here - about identifying whether it's a payphone - at least I have never heard of it.

I went against my better judgment - oh, well, won't happen again.

I think you were way too nice, and too bad for him if it wasn't good enough.

There are some risks involved in our meeting someone new -- physical risks, legal risks, and monetary risks. Men are supposed to be bigger and stronger than we weak females -- and so I really don't think it's asking too much for them to meet us halfway and accept their own share of risks.

But if they think it is too much, then let them see those chicks who are so desperate that they're willing to take the greater share of risks. And let them too question why an SP should be willing to do so. (...maybe she doesn't have much repeat business? Hmmm....)

I don't think we have that option available here - about identifying whether it's a payphone - at least I have never heard of it.

it sure does, have that feature, with shaw that is. i dont know if they are back east, but I know \telus is, and they have similar features as shaw

You did your best to accomodate him, and he chose to not keep in touch with you, not follow the directions, not use a map to help him with directions, not ask for directions, not go to the appropriate payphone to call you in the first place, and so on. I think you were very gracious to believe him that he was unable to find the correct location for the payphone, but seriously he should have called before 9pm at his first opportunity if he knew he wasn't finding that particular payphone.

I don't find payphone or blocked # callers any more or less likely to show up than any other caller. It is remarkable the number of people who call unblocked who choose to no-show, but that just makes it easier to avoid them in the future. The biggest issue I have with the payphone and block guys is that if anything goes wrong, you can't keep in touch with them. If they get lost and can't find another payphone, they can often take 45 minutes to find your address when you know they were only 10 minutes away lol.

I have lots of great clients who have block # and have to use payphones, but the first appt set up is always a gamble. Well, just as it is for every other type of caller :-D I guess I just keep them under a stricter set of rules: call at this time, show up by that time, go to this location to call if lost, if you don't I consider you a no show by X:00 and you will have to re-schedule.

• Like 2