Flooding's, droughts, fires, tropical heat in the Maritimes! So is this Global warming or just a cyclical weather changes? We have some very intelligent and educated members here I'd love to hear your opinions on our weather changes.

It isn't just weather, we have the train disaster in Lac-Mégantic, Quebec,

and the Asiana Airlines 777 crash at San Francisco Airport, just recently. It just seems there have been weather disasters, well maybe a better term natural disasters, and man made disasters. Whether it is worse this year than other years, or about the same as other years, but a fluke that everything seems to be happening all around the same time making it seem worse than other years I don't know

A rambling

RG

• Like 1

My kid got screwed out of a flight last night out of Vancouver to Ottawa. It appears the aircraft originated from Toronto, so no flights could take off from Pearson. Air Canada had to cough up hotel rooms for all the passengers. Ouchawawa!

In answer to your question about global warming Cristy...I'm gonna think out loud here and just simply say I believe weather patterns are changing.

As to why they are changing, that's a difficult question. We are still technically in an Ice-age, but the ice is melting. Are climate changes due to CO2 & heat reflection in the atmosphere, or just the natural course of glacial recession?...dunno. Nobody was around to record the end stages of the last Ice-age, so there's no empirical evidence available for comparison to our current situation.

My $0.05.

• Like 1

Guest *Ste***cque**

I'm not claiming to be intelligent or educated but I do have an opinion on this. I think most people would agree that climate change is happening and most would claim it's influenced by our actions. The insurance industry is spending lot's of time and money so that they can be prepared for what they anticipate will be more frequent occurrences of extreme weather. They can't afford to look at these as freak occurrences any more.

Some will argue that our planet has gone through heating and cooling cycles in it's climate in the distant past and will continue to do so and there is nothing we can do to stop that.

Maybe so, but regardless of the causes of climate change, why not work towards living with a cleaner planet anyway? Treat the only home you have with respect.

Climate change is definitely happening, but at the same time a lot of these "disasters" are not unique or that exceptional. Calgary, for example, is built on a flood plane. Floods like the one that just happened have happened before, and will happen again. We tend to view these things as "exceptional" or unique when they happen, but frequently they aren't.

• Like 1

Many people do not believe that the climate is changing but I tend to believe that we are ruining our planet. I agree it was late for the snow to melt this year but in reality when I was a kid we had snow until the end of April. What I notice the most is not the temperature in Ottawa or anywhere else in the world but I see all other changes coming. As a kid I felt 2-3 earthquakes for my area and it was funny back then but now I'm terrified by them, they are much stronger and more frequent. Tsunami was something I heard for the first time a few years ago and now it's in every ones vocabulary. Hurricane, tornado, flooding, hail, etc.. there is way too much of that happening in the last few years.

What do we all do about that, well we all think it;s normal and we are going to get used to it. Not me, global warming is happening.

• Like 1