Intervertebral disc disease-can you help

I've thought long and hard about posting this and decided I must as I need and want all the information I can get and from any and all sources before I make a decision that will affect the rest of my life. I have quite a few friends here that I know will want to help and a few who will relish in the knowledge that I'm suffering. I say this because when I first made mention of this here, someone posted on another site that I deserved what was happening to me, but realistically its not happening to me its happening to my best friend, the creature I love more than my own life, my little dog.

She has discs in her neck and lower back that are causing her great pain this has been ongoing for about 2 1/2-3 weeks she is on metacam and tramadol, one an inflammatory the other a very strong pain med. When she is on these she is comfortable and acts almost like herself, although she can't have any exercise at all. No jumping, or toy play, etc. She's been to a neurologist, I took her to Moncton on Monday, who gave me the option to control the situation with pain meds , surgery, which isn't 100% obviously and would possibly help but no longer would she be able to play or run like before, everything would have to be restricted and the discs could again rupture, or put her down. This is a little dog who thrives on playing, running and just being a dog. She is 10yrs old, still young for a min pin, as the average life span for that breed is 15+. So I don't know what to do, what is most fair for her. Some make think it stupid to post here but any help, any kind of info at this point will be helpful. I'm hoping maybe there is someone here that may have had this type of surgery on their dog or knows of anyone who's had it. She is what I love most in this world and I'll go to any lengths to help her, thank you.

Edited by cr**tyc***es
wording

I'm so sorry you're having to suffer with this. It is never easy seeing those you love in a position where you feel helpless to help.

My first thought is that your dog is young and could have potentially many years of love and happiness left. Yes, it may be tempered by not being able to do normal things but there is still the ability to love, be a friend and experience life in different ways. If the surgery can provide this and alleviate some of the pain, I would at least try it and see how it works out. To me, if there's an option, it should be tried.

If you were in this position, would it be fair to you to live and enjoy life and find different things to love and enjoy or to take life away from you?

Stay strong. It's always good to look for support where you can and I know there are many animal lovers on this board. I'm sure you'll get compassionate advice that may help with your decision!

• Like 1

Cristy I am so sorry this is happening to your dog, and to you. My two cents, for what it's worth. Maybe try the status quo for the time being. Keep your dog on the current medications and see how she makes out

If that doesn't work, then try the surgery.

One thing, and this may be hard to do. But accept your dog's playing days may be over. Not only do her discs likely restrict her playing, but even if she did play, playing may aggravate and worsen her condition.

Of course run by all options with a veterinarian, see what he or she thinks

Good luck

RG

• Like 1

Guest realnicehat

I feel for you Cristy. One of the hardest things about being a dog owner is putting your own feelings aside in order to decide what is best for them. Surgery is a lot to put an animal through, especially if the outcome isn't guaranteed. If the side effects aren't too severe I'd try the drugs for a bit while you do some more research for alternative solutions. If you're dog is happy enough on those then that may be all you can do for her right now. Good luck and I hope you are able to find a solution for both her sake and yours.

No advice or expertise to offer, but I did want to add my sympathies for a hard situation.

It's so difficult when animals and young children are in pain, because so often the things we have to do to try to make them feel better are uncomfortable or scary, and we're not able to communicate that it's for their own good.

Wishing you good luck with a tough decision, and even if her playing days are over, hopefully the pain at least can continue to be managed.

• Like 1

Whatever you decide my dear you for sure have the support of people here. I hope your able to find the answers your looking for. Feeling helpless in this kind of situation is terrible, especially when your patient can't tell you how they fell. My thoughts are with ya.

• Like 1

Cristy, I am so sorry to hear this. Our animals are our lives and I feel for you and your dog.

I did some research on this, and found a good article. Depending on how far along she is in this disease, will determine the course of action to take. There are other options besides pain meds and surgery, however, if the compression is too far along, delaying surgery is not always the best option. Also, remember the vet hospital in PEI is a good option too as that is where the vets get their training, so they might also have some options too.

Here is the article. Good luck!

http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2012/12/10/intervertebral-disc-disease.aspx

• Like 1

Cristy, I am so sorry to hear this. Our animals are our lives and I feel for you and your dog.

I did some research on this, and found a good article. Depending on how far along she is in this disease, will determine the course of action to take. There are other options besides pain meds and surgery, however, if the compression is too far along, delaying surgery is not always the best option. Also, remember the vet hospital in PEI is a good option too as that is where the vets get their training, so they might also have some options too.

Here is the article. Good luck!

http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2012/12/10/intervertebral-disc-disease.aspx

Thank you Meaghan and everyone else who have reached out. I have people throughout Canada and the states in dog rescue researching for me and trying to find some who've had this surgery on their dog and the outcomes of it. But they all have their own issues and dogs to look after so it can take some time. Hence my reasoning for reaching out here. The PEI facility is the only facility that does the surgery but the problem is, is it fair to put a dog through something that may take a year to recover from and then the recovery may not be successful, the pain may continue but either way it will progress. Ultimately I have to decide but I want as many opinions as possible as making the RIGHT decision is what she deserves. She certainly deserves every chance and minute of life but for some dogs, like her, who thrive on running and playing is a life being carried and caged a life? Hard to choose, but I'll have to this week.

Just adding my sympathies, the vet is the best to help you through this situation in my opinion. You know your beloved dog better than anyone and I trust that you will make the best decision possible.

May I wish you the best of luck for both you and your Dog. Wishing there was a magic button to offer the correct advise, but follow your veterinarian's advice and your own heart.

Kisses

XoX

• Like 1

Hi Cristy!

Sorry about your little companion, but age catches up with us all sooner or later. It's caught up with me and if I didn't take daily dietary supplements, I'd be a pain too. Daily fish oil would be good, but how do you get a dog to take it? Maybe a half a can of pacific salmon a day? A quality curcumin capsule could be opened and mixed in with the salmon; it's not a strong tasting spice so your buddy might eat it if it were mixed with the salmon. I find that ginger is the most potent pain relieving supplement, but how the heck you would get a dog to take it is beyond me.

Have you tried a raw meat diet, with no processed dog food, which may contain inflammatories like wheat, milk, and soy?

And lastly, a little bit of canna*** oil (such as canna*** heated in coconut oil) added to the diet would calm her down and take the pain away (trust me, it works); it's anti-inflammatory as well. But you have to start with a really, really small dose with little dogs (don't ask me how I know :D )

Just tossing out a few ideas.

Good luck!

• Like 1

Hi Cristy!

Sorry about your little companion, but age catches up with us all sooner or later. It's caught up with me and if I didn't take daily dietary supplements, I'd be a pain too. Daily fish oil would be good, but how do you get a dog to take it? Maybe a half a can of pacific salmon a day? A quality curcumin capsule could be opened and mixed in with the salmon; it's not a strong tasting spice so your buddy might eat it if it were mixed with the salmon. I find that ginger is the most potent pain relieving supplement, but how the heck you would get a dog to take it is beyond me.

Have you tried a raw meat diet, with no processed dog food, which may contain inflammatories like wheat, milk, and soy?

And lastly, a little bit of canna*** oil (such as canna*** heated in coconut oil) added to the diet would calm her down and take the pain away (trust me, it works); it's anti-inflammatory as well. But you have to start with a really, really small dose with little dogs (don't ask me how I know :D )

Just tossing out a few ideas.

Good luck!

Thank you, she's been on fish oils her whole life and this disc issue isn't age related as she's had minor pain incidents with her discs throughout her life. The neurologist believes its from being highly active and wear and tear on a possible initial injury. Today they put her on the fentynal patch again. Hopefully this week my vet will guide me in the right direction. I've heard back form some dog people who have had success with the surgery so that is hopeful.

Guest N***he**Ont**y

The moral parts also effect the chosen treatment as we have discussed by pm. I mean the pups quality of life which she may have for another five years. If she is having a good quality of life with a lot of love and attentions she will thrive even with changes of ability, Follow the vets advice and your heart. Having had two dogs that were losing some function a like hearing, sight etc; let her enjoy her time with you,]We let them enjoy the balance of their life spans until the quality of their lives slowly came to an end. Yet we know they enjoyed their time with us.

Peace be with you and your pet. MF

My heart and thoughts go out to you. I must say I cannot advice you what to do. All I can suggest it listen to your vets advice.

I know this situation isn't the same, but several years ago I had a close family member who hung herself. She was found still alive, and was brought to the hospital and placed on life support. We found out that she was brain dead and that there was no chance of waking up or coming back to us. Despite doctors advice and doing the humane thing and take her off life support. We chose not to, we thought that maybe by some miracle her condition would change, refusing to look at this situation with reason. Instead we prolonged not only the family pain but in a way hers. She may not of been feeling anything but that is still no way to live.

All I can say, if you love him so much, make sure you make your choice based on him and as hard as it can be don't let your emotion make selfish choices. Think of the best thing for him. What kind of life will he have if surgery is performed? Would you live that way if you were in her shoes or paws?

I'm so sorry you are in such a difficult situation where you must make a difficult choice while trying to keep a sound mind. Best of luck.

Losing one best friend or the person they love the most is something that I know is very hard. But try to remember the happy times.

For me knowing she is no longer suffering has helped me. Even if it has taken me a long time to realize it.

• Like 1

i want to say that i know what you are going through and it is hard. if you need to go to the surgery option, as long as it is a board cert. vet with neurology training there is a good chance that everything is ok and the dog could love a long and happy life. just do not rush right to the put down until you have all the info. i know i have some on this issue and if i can find it will post later.

also i will keep saying this if i need to but wheat ever choice you make will be the right one. remember that.

i will you all the best and will send a pm later.

• Like 1