Controversy aside, I don't think anyone can argue this man was a musical genius. I lovelovelove his music.

Today would have been his 55th birthday.

I know we can't control how threads go.... but my hope with this thread is to post your favourite MJ songs, and fondly remember a legend. Please don't bring negative conversation about him here...let's just remember him for the legend he was.

My fave:

Smooth Criminal

• Like 6

Guest realnicehat

I was 14 when I saw this live on TV:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXhy7ZsiR50

It was all anyone talked about the next day. Kids were trying to moonwalk in the halls.

Love him or hate him, controversy or no, Cleo is right, his genius is undeniable. Sadly genius and personal struggle often go hand in hand. I would be very curious to see what he would be doing now had things been different.

Such a legend, such a musical genius! I just love his music!

Here is one of my all time favorites -

Black or White

Although I grew up in the 80's listening to heavy metal and didn't care for his music, I can appreciate the talent he had. There's no denying the impact he's had on the music industry. Thriller remains the number 1 selling album of all time and the video pretty much changed videos forever.

• Like 1

Guest realnicehat

Then again, he was no Jermaine.

Just goes to show you that while the whole family had talent only two really stood out.

Janet is a star (where the hell is she anyway) and Michael, well you could see it right from the beginning...

I Want You Back:

The Love you Save:

Additional Comments:

Although I grew up in the 80's listening to heavy metal and didn't care for his music, I can appreciate the talent he had. There's no denying the impact he's had on the music industry. Thriller remains the number 1 selling album of all time and the video pretty much changed videos forever.

I don't know if he was a fan but he certainly borrowed guitarists from the hard rock genre often enough. Eddie Van Halen, Steve Stevens, and Slash to name a few.

Always loved the guitar in this one:

Edited by realnicehat

YAYYY!! :) I LOVE MJ! Huge fan here. :biggrin:

My pops introduced him to me when I was very young, and I have been a fan ever since. I always remember him raving about how MJ was "the best dancer in the world" - lol. :) When I was just old enough, we rented a "laser disc" of the Thriller music video from the Ottawa Public Library, and I thought it was the coolest thing in existence. The first album I listened to was a copied cassette tape of

. I think I listened to it a thousand times. Then a few years later I got a CD of "Thriller" and that was just as awesome.

It's pretty impossible for me to choose a favourite song... and it's changed a dozen times over the years, but I think right now it's a toss up between

and

I still listen to his music all the time, but it's been years since I watched the music videos... I am loving rewatching them now! :) Thanks for posting Cleo! :)

RIP The King of Pop!!

• Like 2

My fave:

Smooth Criminal

You stole one of my favs Cleo! I have to throw it in because no one else has yet, not only the song but the production that went into the video and the huge following it had...Thriller!!!!

Definitely helped shape the music industry. Everyone loves to jam out to MJ. Thanks for the thread Cleo!

• Like 1

even thou he had a troubled life sort of with a fair amount of controversy, no one could say he did not have talent. he could dance better then most people ever will and he could sing with the best of them.

here's to you MJ !!!

Guest ChantalSummers

MJ will always be a musical phenomenon to me!! Thriller is my fave tune of his!!