In-calls- Out-calls

I've always found it curious why most of us charge less for in-calls then we do outcalls. Obviously any of us are able and have the right to charge what we want but why do we? As I see it we incur more costs when doing in-calls,( rent-mortgages, hotel costs, for your locale, linens, towels, soaps, refreshments, laundry, cleaning supplies, personal care products for clients, etc,) those fees are, if I'm not wrong, and, I may be:) more than most transportation fees. Which would be the only additional fees incurred for out-calls, I think:) but perhaps I'm looking at it wrong. Any opinions:)

Guest realnicehat

I would guess that most business minded ladies set their price to cover the cost of their overhead , pay themselves a wage, and make a profit.

If you set your pricing for incalls then included in your overhead will be the cost of your location and its supplies.

Should you accept an outcall you still have to cover your initial overhead (you still have to pay the rent when you leave the house) plus transportation fees and wages for travel time.

Thus, outcall costs more.

most transportation fees. Which would be the only additional fees incurred for out-calls, I think:) but perhaps I'm looking at it wrong. Any opinions:)

But I think you also have to account for your time lost traveling back and forth. Transportation fee + time traveling could be considerable so that you might have to add an additional hours to the fee to get full recovery.

• Like 6

I agree with Christy, incalls should cost more. Most workers keep a second place to run incalls from and that overhead is far more than transportation costs. Until I came to Canada, incalls were always more expensive from $20-50 per session depending on the quality of the location. The problem is that the business in Canada is already so competitive that anything charged over the going rate will cut into the bottom line. If I adjusted my prices to accommodate the added expense of keeping my location it would put my prices into the touring girl range and I wouldn't be able to keep myself afloat without touring so I eat the loss to stay local and still competitive...

cat

• Like 2

Guest realnicehat

I agree with you Cat, in that a provider doing strictly incalls should have a higher rate than one who only does outcalls.

Clearly the lady with a location will have considerably higher overhead as she is incurring those costs. I'm sure a lot of gentlemen (myself included) would have to give up regular visits if they had to add the cost of a hotel room to each rendezvous.

I would hope that someone who provides both services would be able to set their rate high enough to cover the overhead of an incall and still charge a premium to cover extra expenses for an outcall.

It is concerning that the current market does not allow the ladies to set their pricing based on skill, experience, and reputation but rather they must adhere to the "going rate". Sadly, I think the same thing could be said about a lot of professions these days....

Edited by realnicehat

Guest webothscore

I think it's supply and demand based. The right answer cannot be same for all providers. If 90% of a provider's business is outcall, she can't be on the same financial wavelength as the provider who does 90% incalls, so that is why we see the varying degrees of business.

I think it's supply and demand based. The right answer cannot be same for all providers. If 90% of a provider's business is outcall, she can't be on the same financial wavelength as the provider who does 90% incalls, so that is why we see the varying degrees of business.

Can you elaborate? I'm afraid I don't understand this...

cat

Additional Comments:

cat

• Like 1

Guest webothscore

cat

Additional Comments:

cat

Hi Cat. No Problem. Which part? I reread to ensure that there isn't ambiguity. The message in others words means that a strategy for somebody who does primarily incalls is different than one who does primarily outcalls. The only difference is that this time I used "primarily" as opposed to 90%. Anything else, don't be shy to PM. Have a great evening.

I actually charge more for in call then outcall. My logic is that I would prefer outcalls, so therefore give a reduced rate for outcall if it is at a hotel. If it is at a residence I charge a premium for this service as most ladies will not travel to a residence. My in call rate takes into consideration that I must provide the location, laundry etc. If the gent wants to provide the location, he gets a lower rate.

My travelling fees are nominal if someone wants to see me in a location that most ladies would charge an extra couple of hundred to go see him. My logic is that the actual cost of travelling there is really not that high, so therefore I charge a nominal amount. So, I do get lots of calls to small towns that they are normally not able to get someone to see them there.

• Like 1

Suppose a lady's average hourly rate is $250. Traveling may add anywhere between 20-60 minutes roundtrip (Or about $50-$250 of unpaid time). Multiply the time/money lost over a few clients, and that having an incall location has become routine for most SPs, it's additional time/expense.

@webothscore - Perhaps I am just dense. I do find your statement ambiguous. Actually, ambiguous isn't the word; I'm unsure of the word I'm searching for...

Providing an incall doesn't negate the time before or after an appointment that is eaten up by travelling for an outcall. I have a full of hour of sterilizing and cleaning up after an incall appt so travel time is not an issue when comparing. On top of the labor involved of maintaining an incall is the expense. Hydro, rent, wifi, furnishing etc. Trust me, I've done both and incall is more expensive. I've compared the numbers and the only reason I offer it is because I'm no longer willing to run the roads. I'm willing to eat the overhead at this point because dealing with outcalls is a power dynamic I'm not willing to play with anymore. Incalls cost us more therefore should be more expensive. Period...

cat

• Like 1

Suppose a lady's average hourly rate is $250. Traveling may add anywhere between 20-60 minutes roundtrip (Or about $50-$250 of unpaid time). Multiply the time/money lost over a few clients, and that having an incall location has become routine for most SPs, it's additional time/expense.

Last night I did 2 outcalls travelling time was about 6 mins between locales and a few mins to and from my home. Most of the downtown hotels in Halifax are only mins apart so time is not an issue.I did an incall yesterday afternoon which took me 45mins to prepare for and another 45min to clean up from. I think Cat explained it better though:), Sterilizing and cleaning IS the most time consuming.

• Like 1

Last night I did 2 outcalls travelling time was about 6 mins between locales and a few mins to and from my home. Most of the downtown hotels in Halifax are only mins apart so time is not an issue.I did an incall yesterday afternoon which took me 45mins to prepare for and another 45min to clean up from. I think Cat explained it better though:), Sterilizing and cleaning IS the most time consuming.

Reading what you said made me want to move to Halifax. I guess my estimates are more applicable to Toronto in all it's size and traffic glory.

• Like 1

Typical, at least out here, seems to be that sps do not take themselves to do an outcall, but have to pay a driver and/or taxi. I am not sure why this is the case, but it is not unusual for the reason behind an extra fee is solely to pay the driver (whether a hired driver or taxi driver), and the sp still essentially collects her normal donation, the client pays normal donation plus 50 for example.

If an sp was outcall only, she isn't going to have two rates, just one, so if there are added costs, that will already be included so you won't see it as an extra added charge. If an sp is incall only and offers outcalls only reluctantly, you will see the added charge is high enough to either discourage the outcall request or cover her travel time/gas/taxi/driver, or whatever. Time away from 'home' for a mostly incall provider can cost her another appointment, so an outcall fee will be higher in order to offset the lost potential incall.

I think you will see a difference between sps who drive themselves, and don't charge any or only a small outcall extra fee, versus sps who do not drive themselves, and then have to charge a fee high enough to cover that. Usually as well if the client cancels on arrival, this is the amount she will need as a cancelation fee, again to be able to pay the driver or taxi to get home again. Many sps even if they drive will take a taxi or use a driver as backup, because really at the end of the day, doing an outcall is more dangerous than incall due to not knowing what you are stepping into.

• Like 1

A thought on this... there are quite a lot of clients who can't really do outcalls for one reason or another, but it strikes me that there are probably far fewer who can't do incalls. I don't know whether I'm actually correct in thinking this or not, but...

If I'm right, then it might also follow that the increase in business that a SP gets from offering incalls would offset the increased costs involved....

Having an incall can't be all that bad, financially - if it was, nobody would do it!

• Like 2

A thought on this... there are quite a lot of clients who can't really do outcalls for one reason or another, but it strikes me that there are probably far fewer who can't do incalls. I don't know whether I'm actually correct in thinking this or not, but...

If I'm right, then it might also follow that the increase in business that a SP gets from offering incalls would offset the increased costs involved....

Having an incall can't be all that bad, financially - if it was, nobody would do it!

IMO...

An incall is a necessity unless a provider wants to run the 8pm to 5am shift until she has her license revoked for night blindness and her walker is too hard to get in and out of the backseat. Outcall clients are usually at night and are harder to handle in general because they are more spur of the moment. Day clients are seldom under the influence and usually able to plan ahead a bit. My clients are clear on what they expect from the location I use. I had to check into a hotel this spring for a few days during repair work and had clients cancel because they don't like hotels for their visit. My location runs me 30% of my gross income. I realize this is disproportional and if I had to relocate I'd be screwed. If I could run outcalls from 7am to 6pm, I would have that 30% (less gas as I already pay for my car and insurance) back in my wallet. Given I'm a low volume provider it is doable, traffic wise. But my guests need me to provide the location. This thread made me take a peek at my books, perhaps it's time to raise my rates... ;)

cat

• Like 2

Thank for your reply. Cat once again summed it up far better than I can and will, but here is my reply.

Its not that in-calls are "bad" financially its just that from my point of view and obviously Cats:) they cost more to run than an out-call service. I do both, as do a lot of women, and here-Halifax- you can get to and from most hotels fairly quickly so travelling time really doesn't eat up any extra. But always, preparing and cleaning up for an in-call and after one usually always eats up the same amount of time, and the costs of the necessities for an in-call are higher than for an outcall. That's not saying they aren't worth doing it just made me curious as to why most of us charge more for the out-call, hence my thread:)

I drive myself as I don't find the out-call any more dangerous as my in-call, but that's me. I pre-screen to the best of my ability and realize things can happen in or out. The risk as I see for an out-call would be having more than one person in the room or at the residence, a risk you can avoid with in-call, but with in and out things can happen so I think its important to always let someone know where you are going and for in if its a new client-a stranger- letting a friend know that you are having company.

In the end, obviously, we all can charge what we choose. But when some of us do with no fail you'll get the response from a lot of men: How come you charge more than so and so, and for some clients a higher rate will cause them to look elsewhere even if they really like you:( Or everyone else charges xxx why are you charging xyz? There are those clients that don't differentiate, they think everything should be the same. So sometimes its just easier to charge what everyone else does:(

[size=On top of the labor involved of maintaining an incall is the expense. Hydro, rent, wifi, furnishing etc. Trust me, I've done both and incall is more expensive. I've compared the numbers and the only reason I offer it is because I'm no longer willing to run the roads. I'm willing to eat the overhead at this point because dealing with outcalls is a power dynamic I'm not willing to play with anymore. Incalls cost us more therefore should be more expensive. Period...

cat [/size]

What needs to be considered are the incremental expenses incurred doing an outcall that would not be incurred if doing an incall. an example would be transportation expenses. Sunk costs are expenses that are incurred no matter if doing in or out. For example, if an SP entertains in the same residence that they live then rent, heat and hydro etc. are expenses they would incur no matter where they entertain. If the SP entertains in a hotel then the hotel rate is an incremental cost that needs to be covered. If a SP maintains a separate residence, then they need to ensure that they earn enough to cover those expenses on a monthly basis.

Pricing structure should be determined by supply and demand and what the market will bare. The SP should have an idea as to how many clients they would need to see that would cover the incremental expenses and to provide $x amount to cover the sunk or fixed costs plus a desired amount for profit.

The amount of fun the SP enjoys in the business is a tax free bonus.

Edited by andflemcol
  • Like 2