Sign in to follow this  

Holding cellphone in hand while driving illegal in Ontario

It is also illegal here in Nova Scotia. A friend of mine was at a stop light recently and picked up his phone off the passenger seat to check the time. As he placed it back on the seat he was pulled over by a police officer because it was in his hand. I find even having a Bluetooth device in your ear to be equally as distracting as you are not fully aware of your environment. Hands free does not all of a sudden make you aware of what is around you. A pedestrian may try to cross the street, a driver may decide they have time to make that right hand turn, or a cyclist may weave in and out. I think that if you are going to drive or even walk (as many pedestrians are texting without looking where they are walking) then turn your phone off or put it somewhere you can't reach until you arrive at your destination. Just my 2 cents IMHO.

• Like 1

Guest a**4*

This is very true this happen to me back in March when a lady ran me down while I was working in the street and now I have injuries that did not heal and had to get a lawyer and sue which is on going.The one question everyone asked what was she doing that she did not see me when every other driver saw me there even the fire dept saw me they were the one's that came back to the accident I am alive but very lucky to be alive things could have been alot worst she was charged and now dealing with on going pain and strong pain killers stay off the dam phones before you kill someone because i'm sorry does not cut it when it's to late I am a victum of people being on there cell phones.I hope the law gets changes and vechiles get inpounded when caught my two cents worth

Yeah, this one really annoys me; it's a classic case of "'my immediate convenience is more important than the safety of everyone else around me (including my passengers)."

About half the time I see a car make some crazy-assed manoeuver or nearly clip something or someone, the driver has a phone glued to his/her ear. And there are SO many alternatives these days -- hands-free interfaces, or just pulling off the road while you're on the phone -- that I've got no patience for any of these tired excuses.