Tattoos: Beyond the cover

My daughter has a number of tattoos. And she's treating herself to yet another for her 35th birthday, which was Thursday. It was hard for me, at first, because, when I was younger, few men got tattoos, and almost no women! But, if you want to have a good relationship with your adult child--and I do!--you have to respect their choices.

At first, my husband, her step father, obsessed about them. He seemed to feel compelled to bring up his opinions on them every single time they spoke. Until I managed to convince him that continuing to do so would only cause her to avoid him. If he hated the idea of tattoos so much that he'd prefer that, then carry on. But if he valued her in his life the way he'd always led me to believe, then he'd better check himself. And he did.

My parents, however, continue to be assholes. For example, they told her they did not want to look at her wedding photos because they did not want to see her tattoos. What can I say? They drove both daughters away with their judgmental arrogance. Maybe they'll kick off before they drive their only grandchild away too.

But I must say, it has to be hard for the mother of the young man pictured in the article! Imagine having a child and knowing you will never see or kiss his naked face again!