I don't like turkey. I know, I know, it is strange. It's just that, to me, it mght as well be chicken. Do you know what I do like? I like the potatoes that you put at the bottom of the pan that cook in the turkey fat...and the bacon you put on top of the turkey that I'm pretty sure you aren't supposed to eat.. yummm

What about you? What do you love and hate about festive dinners?

• Like 1

I don't mind turkey but if I had my choice, just make me a big pan of stuffing with a side of gravy.

• Like 2

I LOVE PUMPKIN PIE! And pumpkin cheesecake (what I usually make). And stuffing (real stuffing, not stovetop). And turkey. And mashed potatoes. YUM!

I don't like gravy (people think I'm weird), or cranberry sauce. Meh.

• Like 2

I love it all! :biggrin: Especially the stuffing. And the dark meat!

My mom makes the best turkey dinner. And her gravy is legendary. My favourite part though is the leftovers she gives me to take home so I can make hot turkey & stuffing sandwiches for the next few days. Yummmmy!

• Like 3

Guest B**na***oy

I find turkey too dry and I need half a gallon of gravy to eat it. As festive dinners, I much prefer things like fondue or raclette:

Raclette_with_all_the_trimmings.jpg

Comment for Emily:

I'm NOT telling that to my mother in law. I prefer to over dose on gravy. LOL

Guest M****ella's C****s (retire

Yuuuum! This thread is making hungry! My mom's stuffing hands down and her home made cranberry sauce...This will be the first year I can't have the stuffing because of my gluten intolerance. Not gonna lie though I might have to sneak in a fork full or 6 and deal with the consequences. I think it will be well worth it. And potato cakes!! uummm potato cakes. I'm gonna miss those too.

Guest Lep*******1**7

I guess it was because I was born on Thanksgiving Day and was called the little turkey -- 8 pounds, 4 ounces -- from day 1, I haven't been too gone on turkey. I do find it is generally a lot drier than chicken or other 'birds'. I love roasted duck from Somerset, although that extra fat is probably the cause. Other than that I enjoy a squash/potato mix, broccoli and cheeze caserole, baked potatoes and a nice apple-cinnamon pie with vanilla ice-cream to round things out. Apparently a chocolate sauce goes well with turkey, although I haven't tried it my self. Anything....just don't call me turkey!

I really do love the whole classic meal and the entire production surrounding it. And in fact I'm hosting own my big, extended family's Thanksgiving dinner this weekend.

Yesterday I sent an e-mail reassuring everyone that yes, I did obtain a particular brand of cranberry sauce (and with whole berries! it's important!) so not to worry. To be honest it was only half-joking -- everything's got to be just right to keep everyone happy.

My one quirk (no, wait, sorry, one of my many quirks) is that the only thing I really like to drink with a big turkey dinner is Coke -- yes, the original stuff chock full o' sugar. As a kid it was really only in our house a few times a year (Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's Eve) and so having it with those big dinners again recreates that whole happy atmosphere for me.

It's going to be SO MUCH fun!

What do I love about Thanksgiving dinner

homemade stuffing with gravy poured over it

mashed potatoes with butter

the drumstick (I always get it, everyone else hates dark meat, I love it)

Turkey sandwiches the next day

And turkey soup

What do I hate

Cleaning up the kitchen

This year, the good news is I'm going to my brothers so he cooks and cleans up

But the bad news is I don't get any leftovers for sandwiches and soup

RG

Thanksgiving is my time to shine!

I'm one of those lean fellows who can eat more than seems physically possible when the meal is right. And as long as the gravy is flowing, you can pile the turkey and potatoes on.

Bonus points if there is egg nog on hand.

The only thing that could make it better is a piece of Cleo's pumpkin cheesecake - that sounds yummy!

• Like 1

i really dont care for almost everything associated with a traditional thanks giving dinner , turkey , stuffing , cranberry , and pumpkin anything . fortunately my mother will make a pork roast with garlic roasted potatoes . unfortunately there no leftovers to take home because everyone else scams on my meal ! ahh family

• Like 1

I have always preferred chicken over turkey. Goose and dick..oops...duck rank up there as well. Turkey has a certain flavour that just does nothing for me.

Gravy, whipped potatoes, stuffing, home made cranberry sauce. YUMMM

Ok now I wish it was Monday!

I like the whole Thanksgiving feast - Turkey, mashed potatoes with lots of butter, carrots cooked with a bit of brown sugar, peas, whole cranberry sauce (the jelly stuff is frowned about in my family) and a nice pumpkin pie.

Last year due to last minute issue our family couldn't make our standard Thanksgiving feast. Instead we got some really good steaks for the local butcher and had a big BBQ. We still had the pumpkin pie but everything else had been changed. Even though many of use were sort of sad about the missed turkey once things got going no one missed the turkey.

After all is said and done, it's not what is on the table to eat at Thanksgiving but who is around that table that is important.

Guest realnicehat

Ok, this is going to sound a little crazy. It's so out there that you may even think I'm trolling for Thanksgiving controversy or attention but I assure you every word of it is true.

Anyway, here it is, please don't judge or hate me but.....

I don't like gravy. In any form.

Yes, yes, I know. It makes no sense. You're thinking to yourself "but RNH, what about poutine? Hot turkey sandwiches? What do you put on your mashed potatoes? It's sooo delicious."

No, this isn't one of those tried it when I was 5 and never had it again. If it comes on my plate at a restaurant I can eat it, I would just prefer not to.

Well fuck it. I may as well come completely out since I'm doing this.

Pumpkin pie, from my point of view is a total waist of a pie crust. Yeah, I said it. Don't care for the flavour, hate the consistency even more.

All that aside, I do love a good turkey dinner with (almost all) the fixin's. I just prefer my mashed potatoes slathered in butter, my dressing moist enough to eat without drowning it, and for dessert: warm apple pie with old cheddar cheese.

Now this may sound silly but turkey is not my favorite but I want to master this dish before I try other festive dishes. Last year my turkey was really yummy but I forgot the giblets inside the turkey. I saw the stuffing in the picture, didn't check the turkey and got a neck surprise, instead of stuffing, lol. I'm glad that whatever the giblets were in didn't melt, Peachy slaps head. I plan on picking a bird up after the weekend and creating my own feast, neck pas. Once I'm confident with this, I might try lamb or duck the next years. Any kind of feast is good. Happy turkey day, y'all.

Guest ChantalSummers

I really like turkey but have a preference for chicken and stuffing mmmm yummm. I also adore everything that comes with it. So usually theres mashed sweet potatoes, salads, and this brussel sprougt and bacon dish. I may also make a pumpkin cheesecake this year ;)...

Guest webothscore
As long as I dont have to cook... lol

I enjoy the turkey dinners... Although not a huge fan of stuffing

Grrrrrrrrrrrr! It's because of people like you I am always cooking ;) luv you

This year I am doing a turkey that is about 35 lbs. Oh boy, am I sticking to my one- time flip tested and true method or the flip twice method? I see myself wearing it as a hat if I slip as I flip!

As anyone tried turkey cooked in oil(deep fried), it is supposed to be moist and delicious. I am looking for someone to cook one and invite me for a turkey thanksgiving supper.

Edited by NotchJohnson
  • Like 1

Guest N***he**Ont**y

My brother deep fries his turkeys and they come out delicious!

Anything deep-fried usually tastes good. I love deep-fried whole chicken, but have never tried a deep-fried turkey. Will need a humongous deep frier!

Guest N***he**Ont**y

My brother uses a propane deep fryer that can cook a 30 lbs turkey.

I like to BBQ a turkey. I start with a fresh bird then I stuff it with a walnut spiced bread stuffing. I preheat the BBQ until it reaches about 500 F. The turkey goes into an aluminium pan with a rack. I place the bird on the center of the grill. Next, I turn off the burner directly below the bird. Close the lid and wait. It takes roughly 15 minutes a pound so a twenty pound bird is perfect after 5 hours. Here's the trick. No basting. I leave the BBQ lid closed for 90% of the cooking time. The only exception comes right at the end, about an hour before the time is up. I'll open the lid and foil the wings, drum sticks and the ends (where the stuffing resides). Then I draw off as much of the drippings as possible to make the gravey. Once the lid is closed again I don't touch the bird until its time to carve.

Most of you are probably asking yourselves the same questions.

1) Five hundred degrees Fahrenheit? Is he nuts? The answer is once the lid is opened for the first time, most of the excess heat bleeds off. And when the Center burner is turned off the BBQ will settle back to the 325 F range.

2) No basting? Is he nuts? The answer is most turkeys that come out dry are due to the act of basting. When you open the oven (or BBQ) to baste the bird, the temperature drops considerably, then the oven needs to work to bring the temp back up. The uneven temperature dries out the meat. True, it is an act of faith, but no basting is recommended by the experts at Butter Ball. My turkeys always turn out golden brown and moist.

3) Why a BBQ? Is he nuts? Well, yes, I am nuts. But over the years I've developed a low tolerance for the smell of roast foul in my house. Traditional oven methods will fill the house with the aroma of turkey; a smell that can linger for days. I used to like it, but lately it has a nauseating effect on me. So I BBQ and leave that lovely turkey stink outside.

• Like 3

I never used to like turkey. My mom's turkey could be considered a method of torture. But my husband brines his turkeys for a few days before roasting them and they come out super juicy and flavourful. Now I look forward to turkey.

What I don't like is a huge meal. We usually just have turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauce, and a salad or cole slaw. I found a recipe for crescent rolls, and I might make that too. We'll see.