I recently bought a condo with a closing date of October 2010. Since my lease at my present apartment renews on August 1st, I will opt to go month to month for the remaining time until I take possession of my unit. I am required to provide written notice to my landlord, who will then forward it to the property management company. In turn, they will send me a letter of acceptance/approval of the new rental terms.

My question is, when I give written notice to my landlord, should I request they sign the letter and then get a copy of it, or should I ask for a receipt of some kind? I'd feel better if I had documented proof that I actually gave them written notice. That way, they can't come back later and say that they never received it. Any thoughts??

My question is, when I give written notice to my landlord, should I request they sign the letter and then get a copy of it, or should I ask for a receipt of some kind? I'd feel better if I had documented proof that I actually gave them written notice. That way, they can't come back later and say that they never received it. Any thoughts??

Signed copy or Courier it and the signature of acceptance can serve as proof as well.

Signed copy or Courier it and the signature of acceptance can serve as proof as well.

Agreed. However, I was just thinking of having the landlord sign it as well, and getting a copy or receipt from him just to be on the safe side. For instance, I may give my notice next month but there is no guarantee exactly when the landlord will forward my request on to the property management company. Technically, they can wait until three months before my anniversary date, and that's a lot of time for papers to get misplaced, lost etc..

Guest S**r***e

Perhaps make 2 or 3 copies and make every party sign each one. That way you have a copy, the landlord has a copy and the management company gets one. Be sure to date it as well on all copies.

I recently bought a condo with a closing date of October 2010. Since my lease at my present apartment renews on August 1st, I will opt to go month to month for the remaining time until I take possession of my unit. I am required to provide written notice to my landlord, who will then forward it to the property management company. In turn, they will send me a letter of acceptance/approval of the new rental terms.

In Ontario you must give 60 days notice, irregardless of the month to month after your lease is completed. Your last month's rent (Security deposit) goes towards your last month- ie August in paid in full already.

You don't need 3 copies, but if you wish go ahead, a simple letter containing-dates/address, 1 copy for you and them is suffice, you can also send a copy to your provincial housing tribunal to CYA (cover your ass).

I also believe you can ask for your interest on the security deposit that the Company had made during your cash sitting in their bank account over the time.

Example your rent was 1000.00 a month and that was your deposit you been there 5 years = a little cash in your pocket. Check your rental housing tribunal for your province, for your rights.

Perhaps make 2 or 3 copies and make every party sign each one. That way you have a copy, the landlord has a copy and the management company gets one. Be sure to date it as well on all copies.

I agree with this.

for any document I sign with my landlord i sign three copies and so do they (I keep one).....if you want to keep up with making sure everyone is on the same page of your decision, do the same. make three copies of the agreement, keep one, have them all signed at the same time in pen and if the document is more than one page and stapled, have yourself and your landlord initial each page, have the signed copy of the management company either fax you back a stamped and signed copy or have them send you a hard copy to your address