Lately there have been a lot of people viewing my page yet they have blocked me from theirs:frown: I realize that some prefer to only allow certain "friends" or whomever to view their profile page and that's their right. BUT just like a blocked number raises suspicions and lacks trust so do blocked profiles. I think it only fair for those who choose to view mine that they give me the right to view theirs:) Am I alone on this?

• Like 3

http://www.cerb.ca/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=147795&highlight=hidden+profiles

Lately there have been a lot of people viewing my page yet they have blocked me from theirs:frown: I realize that some prefer to only allow certain "friends" or whomever to view their profile page and that's their right. BUT just like a blocked number raises suspicions and lacks trust so do blocked profiles. I think it only fair for those who choose to view mine that they give me the right to view theirs:) Am I alone on this?
  • Like 1

Interesting Question that Cristy raises. It would seem that most of her concerns are addressed in the post by PistolPete which indicates that verified SP's can access private profiles through the SP only access. That said the basic premise of Cristy's question remains... should a member who chooses to keep their profile private have the right to view other members profiles.

Each member has the ability to include or not include as much private details as they wish in their profile so if a person does not want to reveal and personal data just don't include it.

If it is your preference to keep your profile completely private maybe it would follow that you either not have the privilege to see other people's profiles or that other members would be able to choose a setting that would restrict access to their own public profile to anyone who has a private profile.... sort of a you only see mine if you show me yours too.

I kinda think this would be a much fairer approach. I fully appreciate and agree with the current SP access to private profiles but other members should also be able to see the basics of individuals who are lurking them.

Now having said all that.... this is certainly not a burning issue for me.

• Like 5

Guest c**io**m7

I have a few who visit often and I do find it annoying when I am blocked from theirs. Is there a way to block specific users?

I don't have strong feelings on this, but I can certainly understand how ladies on the board might feel differently. I agree with Christy that there is something a little creepy about it.

In general, i think the whole notion of blocked/hidden profiles runs somewhat counter to the philosophy of the board as a community. Since we are all anonymous anyway (unless we choose to disclose more to certain people), the whole notion of hiding your profile seems somewhat redundant. You actually don't have to put anything particularly revealing in your profile.

just my .02 on a Saturday morning.

Porthos

• Like 4

I have a few who visit often and I do find it annoying when I am blocked from theirs. Is there a way to block specific users?

Yes, put them on your "ignore list"

http://www.cerb.ca/vbulletin/profile.php?do=ignorelist

I don't like members blocking their profile. If they do this, they get on my "do not book list" - sorry, I can't understand why anyone would do this unless they have something to hide.

• Like 2

Guest S*rca****sid

I'm curious why some providers would want to hide their profile. After all, this is free advertising for them, why not take advantage of that? Similarly to having an empty profile. Members will want to have a peek to see what is in the their profile to find out if the provider is someone they want to contact.

Guest realnicehat
I'm curious why some providers would want to hide their profile. After all, this is free advertising for them, why not take advantage of that? Similarly to having an empty profile. Members will want to have a peek to see what is in the their profile to find out if the provider is someone they want to contact.

- she may feel she gets enough exposure from the advertising section and recos?

- she may simply want more control over who is seeing her photos?

- she may feel that a member who makes a friend request could be more serious about seeing her?

- she may not wish to or have time to deal with all the messages left on her wall?

This is, of course, just speculation on my part but I can see how it might make sense for some ladies. After all, they are already putting themselves out there in ads, perhaps they wish to use their profile for previous clients only.

The blocked profiles that have visited me have all had male type names so I'd assume they were all hobbyists.

Guest S*rca****sid
The blocked profiles that have visited me have all had male type names so I'd assume they were all hobbyists.

I was specifically talking about provider profiles.