NY Times OP ED on Legalizing Prostitution

Don't sex workers flock to Germany from other countries specifically because Germany makes it possible for them to work safely and legally? What woman working in Sweden for example wouldn't want that? If other countries had the same attitude, there wouldn't be the same kind of numbers knocking on the German brothel doors, they would be happily at home working at a local venue.

From a documentary i saw a year or so ago, it seems quite easy to get approval to work there, without a lot of hassle of getting a work visa. I think Australia also provides work visas for sex workers too, maybe New Zealand. In this kind of country, it is possible to travel to work fully above board.

In other countries, they don't have work visas, so anyone who wants to come into a more lucrative market has to work illegally. So of course there are going to be facilatators who help to make that happen. someone coming on a tourist or student visa, knowing they are here to do sex work, have to have a place to stay, someone to pay the bills of them getting there, then pay them back. If they come from China or Thailand, they are unlikely to have enough money on them to pay for all that, and yet both they and the importers have a vested interest in them coming here to work, and be happy working here. I don't think the sps who come here are very happy if they are not very busy, because they know their time is limited, that they are here to work, and that they have bills to pay off first, then profits to be made afterward.

it is far easier to get someone to come to Canada or anywhere really who has experience in this work and wants to make more than the 20 bucks an hour they receive in their home country. It has to be much more difficult to take the time to find naieve young women who think they are coming to be nannies and maids then trick them to do sex work. So unlikely, that I doubt if it happens to anywhere near the extent the abolitionists claim. There are oodles of willing sex workers who would be happy to travel, no one has to trick them to come here.

What i would like to see is that they have the same opportunities that legal workers have, and that they and the facilitators are held accountable for their wellbeing while they are here, and that no one can profit completely for the work they are doing, by charging exorbitant fees and a load of debt they can't repay. As long as they can't come to work legally, that can very well be happening.