hedonic vs eudaimonic

Can a person be happy/fulfilled living a hedonic lifestyle or do we have to strive for a more eudaimonic one. Some feel without a purpose and a sense of why you are here you can live a happy life, that seeking pleasure after pleasure without purpose is unfulfilling and unhealthy for the body, mind and soul. What do you think?

For me personally, it's about balance between the two, actually balance in everything. There is nothing wrong with the pursuit of pleasure and in fact, some people view that as a goal to achieve. I believe we all have lessons to learn in this life and while we may not understand either our own or others, they are just as important and real. Someone that is pursuing pleasure with determined focus may in fact be learning lessons in connection, balance or fear. While someone on the flip side who holds themselves rigid from pleasure may be learning the exact same thing.

For me, I need to share something from my pleasure. If someone is simply taking and not sharing enjoyment with me, that pleasure then loses it's appeal where if someone is present and sharing, it amps up all the pleasure found within the pleasures. I also need to remain spiritual within pleasure by listening to my inner voice and being true to that. If I'm not, I find the pleasure principle is removed.

M belief is it boils down to individuality and what works for each individual. We are all on our own path of discovery and what works for one may not work for another. Some it's balance some excess in one or the other or perhaps none of either. I think what's unhealthy for us is ignoring the voice inside that directs us and instead following the voice of our ego which is fear driven and existing but not living.

• Like 3

You got me on this one. I've never even heard of the word eudaimonic.

Thank you for the laugh and your honest reply. Since I am always trying to educate myself and learn about what makes people tick, why they do what they do and so on. I come upon different terms and ideologies and opinions in my searches and study.

Joseph, to my understanding eudaimonic means to live a lifestyle that has a purpose beyond just seeking out pleasures. To search for ones reason for being here, reach goals, create a purpose for your life. Hope that helps, but google probably will explain it better:)

• Like 1

I believe that you need to find the right balance of the two, and that it is a different balance for everyone. (How's that for a diplomatic answer? ;) )

I don't believe in a higher purpose in the religious sense, but I do feel that one needs to find some meaning and purpose in their own life to feel complete and worth while. Whether these are work related goals, family related, or whatever gives you satisfaction, you should strive for something.

That being said, if you spend all of your time striving for goals, but forget to stop to smell the roses and enjoy where you are and what you have, then you have wasted your life. I try to adhere to both philosophies, without letting either take control.

• Like 1