Sign in to follow this  

Will Nobody Listen to the Sex Workers?

I always find it interesting and actually sad that those who eventually will decide our fate and debate our worth and question the affects, need and challenges of prostitution have never had any experience in the business nor have they probably ever met anyone in the business.

It seems to be a common occurrence in many debates that those who scream the loudest to ban or criminalize something are those who have NO personal dealings with the subject at hand. Another example are the debates and mistreatment of my beloved pit bulls.

If feminists really cared about us they would let US decide what's best for US.

What a novel idea ... letting a woman take control of her own choices in life.

Isn't that what feminism is all about? bunch of freakin hypocrites.

• Like 1

Guest Ou**or**n

I do suggest 'knowing your enemy' and that would mean reading up on the extensive literature from feminists on their views of prostitution. I've done my share of reading and I've taken away three key points of their views:

• All prostitution is violence against women.
  • Sex work is an invalid term because of point above.
  • Consulting sex workers is thus an invalid approach because of these points

Even thought the position that all prostitution is violence against is women is completely one of faith (and dogma), feminists use countless studies to reinforce their claims. These studies examine both they physical harm and psychological harms endured by prostitutes.

I personally feel these studies to be extremely flawed. Prostitution is an extremely difficult area to study as having truly objective interviews with a true sample of both current and former prostitutes is virtually impossible. Many of the conclusions of these studies come from former prostitutes (self-described survivors). However many women enter and leave prostitution and due to its stigma have no desire to self-identify to a study. Thus I believe these studies are heavily skewed to those that have endured harms.

Even in Sweden, there was deliberately no consultation with sex workers because of this belief system. Those enacting the laws agreed that those remaining in sex work would be a greater risk of harm due to the law but felt this was counter balanced by the combination of 'making a moral statement' and there being a net overall reduction in harm due to less women being involved in prostitution.

However in Canada things are very different. Our Charter of Rights strips away such thinking and examines real-world harms and rights. That was the basis of the Bedford decision.