Hockey tends to get a Bad name but....

If you have read some of my posts you will already know that I am a big hockey fan.... yep Toronto Maple Leafs.... and I have noticed over the years that people are more than happy to point out a the negatives about hockey so i thought I would point out a couple of recent hockey stories that show it in a more positive light...

First... i have posted a link to a youtube video of the recent Rich Peverley event when he collapsed at the bench due to a cardiac event... he was saved and is ok but as you watch the video notice how all the players stop and support each other... the game is eventually canceled but it shows that while they battle hard with each other it is a game.

http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jivQgF6J1g

The second story I would refer you to is the Ryan Smyth retirement last night in Edmonton.. at the start of the game he skated on the ice with his son.... and then as the game ended he sat on the bench crying as the crowd stood and clapped.

Just two high points in hockey this season

Just my opinion

• Like 4

Guest c**io**m7

Hockey is definitely near the top of my list but...the Leafs? Really? Lol...

To each their own...I won't judge.

Go Sens Go!! (Next year)

Hockey is definitely near the top of my list but...the Leafs? Really? Lol...

To each their own...I won't judge.

Go Sens Go!! (Next year)

Wow... 4 points up and also didn't make the playoffs... yea I see how you can talk up the Senators. Lol.... just remember when the dollar slides again there will still be a team in Toronto..... maybe not Ottawa.

Let's just be friends and jointly wish the worst on Montreal lolol

• Like 1

Guest c**io**m7
Wow... 4 points up and also didn't make the playoffs... yea I see how you can talk up the Senators. Lol.... just remember when the dollar slides again there will still be a team in Toronto..... maybe not Ottawa.

Let's just be friends and jointly wish the worst on Montreal lolol

Deal!! May they go out in 4.

maple-leafs-titanic-560x420.jpg

In all seriousness Ice4Fun I see your point and agree with you. It just shows that we all realize, whether in sports, politics, whatever, it isn't or shouldn't be personal. I think we saw the same sort of thing with the passing of Jim Flaherty. While politicians of all political stripes day to day would be in opposition to one another, those political allegiances came down and recognized the passing of a fellow human being

Hope that came out right

RG

Edited by r__m__g_uy
typing faster than I think LOL
  • Like 2

As a Habs fan, it's heartwarming to see Leafs and Sens fans consoling each other on an early golfing season, arguing only which team had the most disastrous year. Was it the one that was never very good from the start, or the one that gave their fans hope, only to collapse tremendously and thoroughly at year's end?

All kidding aside, I applaud those who set petty rivalry aside long enough to cheer for the only team representing Canada this year. We're not going to win the cup, but let's give em hell, at least. ;)

• Like 3

This thread seems to have two aspects to it.

First of all, many hockey players do in fact do more than show their skills, or in some cases their bad sides, on the ice. The whole issue of overpaid spoiled athletes can always be argued.

However I know that here in the Maritimes at least a few of our NHL players do give back. Brad Richards from PEI during the players lock out was found in New Jersey helping gut the houses and doing pure physical labor after Hurricane Sandy. He contributes a great deal back into PEI. Sidney Crosby from NS comes across as a genuinely nice guy and he also puts a lot back into his community. I am pretty confident that all across the country your local NHL players do the very same things.

Now. The playoffs. I am a Canadiens fan! HUGE fan. However on those few and rare occasions when the Leafs are still playing after my Canadiens then I become a Leafs fan. So, I am hoping that you Leaf fans, and I can hardly imagine how that can happen, will pick up the Canadian flag and cheer for the good guys. :)

• Like 1

The second story I would refer you to is the Ryan Smyth retirement last night in Edmonton.. at the start of the game he skated on the ice with his son.... and then as the game ended he sat on the bench crying as the crowd stood and clapped.

Just two high points in hockey this season

Just my opinion

I also liked the tribute they paid to Teemu Selanne in Anaheim. He was named all 3 stars of the game, and at the end, he skated a lap with former teammate Sebastien Giguere. A great tribute to a fantastic player and a great person.

And Go Habs Go!!!

• Like 2