Porter Airlines Bag Fee Likely To Be Matched, Air Experts Say

Charging bag fees should not be allowed... stop nickle and diming us with fees and just include it in the cost..... all the bag charge does is block up the cabin with carry on and make for the flight worse.

Just my opinion

Guest S*rca****sid
Charging bag fees should not be allowed... stop nickle and diming us with fees and just include it in the cost..... all the bag charge does is block up the cabin with carry on and make for the flight worse.

Just my opinion

I think that most people will agree with you that it should be included in the cost of the ticket. But then what about the passenger who is on the flight with no bags? What about the passenger who needs to bring more than two cases/bags?

The only legit reason for the extra cost, the heavier the plane is, the more fuel it will consume to get where you're going.

Also, it will cut down on passengers bringing extra luggage that they don't really need. It will make people think twice before packing for their vacation. Anyone on business travel, in most cases, can get refunded through their work or write it off as a business expense.

I think ideally, and I'm not sure if this is already done, but the airlines should allow customers to pay in advance for the number of bags they will check. For example, if you know how many bags you need to check, then call the airline a couple days a head of your trip and tell them how many bags you will check and arrange for payment. This would save on time and may cut down the long line ups at check-in.

Anyone traveling in and through the U.S. has experienced waiting behind someone at the check-in counter when they are told to pay for their bags. You can see them staring at their luggage trying to see if they can fit it under their seat or if they want to part with it... cue the music to Sophie's Choice.

I would tend to check a bag, but will now tend to pack slightly lighter and bring a carry on.

Yep, was informed AFTER I booked and paid for my Porter flight to St. John's in June, that when I get to the airport I will be required to pay $25 per checked bag (each direction). You also need to pay attention to the dimensions and weight of your checked bag(s) or you'll get dinged extra as well.

You are allowed 2 carry on bags not exceeding 20 lbs., and they told me a lady's purse is considered one of the 2 items.

Yep, was informed AFTER I booked and paid for my Porter flight to St. John's in June, that when I get to the airport I will be required to pay $25 per checked bag (each direction). You also need to pay attention to the dimensions and weight of your checked bag(s) or you'll get dinged extra as well.

You are allowed 2 carry on bags not exceeding 20 lbs., and they told me a lady's purse is considered one of the 2 items.

Im not a fan of Porter, never have been and never will be and this joke of an additional fee guarantees they will never see me as a passenger on their flight. Its only a matter of time before this one sinks as Canada3000 did. When people start to get greedy it shows loud and clear.

I think passengers with carry-on bags should be charged more. It costs money to scan their stuff,

and it slows everything down. Sadly, the jerks on the airplane always have big carry-ons.

Guest S*rca****sid
Im not a fan of Porter, never have been and never will be and this joke of an additional fee guarantees they will never see me as a passenger on their flight. Its only a matter of time before this one sinks as Canada3000 did. When people start to get greedy it shows loud and clear.

I think it's only a matter of time before the rest of the airlines in Canada follow Porter's lead.

Guest N***he**Ont**y

Porters Crews are arrogant for starters. (I have first hand experience dealing with them face to face) They cancel without notice irregardless of the consequences of others. If a plane is taken out of service they cancel flights. Their fleet is to small! Their cancellations have cost me money in my business life. I will drive first before taking them anywhere.

Guest S*rca****sid
Their fleet is to small!

Is that in reference to the size of the aircraft or the number of planes?

Guest N***he**Ont**y
Is that in reference to the size of the aircraft or the number of planes?

No the size of the fleet.

Guest S*rca****sid
No the size of the fleet.

How many should they have?

Although my flying experience very limited, when I flew to Florida to see my dad on WestJet I carried one carry on bag, that's it. No checked luggage. But I noticed some passengers bringing two or three carry on bags, and no not purses LOL I had to put my bag in a wire basket, if it fit, carry on, if not, checked baggage. There was no way in hell those who had two or three bags could fit them all in the basket. Excess bags IMHO should have been checked, not carried on

I wouldn't be surprised with airlines that nickel and dime, you pay for a ticket, pay for checked baggage, pay for carry on, and then have to pay for a seat to boot

Anyhow a rambling and story posted, more of interest to those who fly

RG

Guest N***he**Ont**y
How many should they have?

Enough to cover their routes with out interrupting people lives.

The only legit reason for the extra cost, the heavier the plane is, the more fuel it will consume to get where you're going.

No... what happens is that if passengers bring more luggage, they can't get as much freight (i.e. extra money) on the same flight. The plane's hold will probably be full, irrespective of how much luggage the passengers bring between them.

No... what happens is that if passengers bring more luggage, they can't get as much freight (i.e. extra money) on the same flight. The plane's hold will probably be full, irrespective of how much luggage the passengers bring between them.

Yea I think you are right but it's also true that less weight equals fuel saving... in either case... whatever the reason it us just wrong in my opinion.