Lies, damned lies and sex work statistics

Thanks RG for sharing that link to the article entitled, "Lies, damned lies and sex work statistics," by Ms. Maggie McNeill

Compare her premise with the words of Mr. Peter MacKay. This is a direct quote from the debate in the house on Bill 63 on Wednesday, June 11, as documented in Hansard.

"We know that 75% to 80% of those involved in prostitution are women. As I mentioned earlier, many come from the most marginalized groups of society and share common vulnerabilities, such as childhood abuse, neglect, poverty, and addictions, and they lack the education and skills necessary to exit prostitution.

Research indicates as well that a large number of those who provide sexual services entered prostitution when they were mere children, and that they experienced sexual abuse prior to their first prostitution experience. Furthermore, aboriginal women and girls are disproportionately represented among those who are exploited through prostitution.

There is simply no getting away from the fact that prostitution is an extremely dangerous activity. Studies before the courts in the Bedford case have shown that prostitution is multi-traumatic. It regularly involves physical violence, sexual violence, forceable confinement, and drugs, and involvement in prostitution often causes post-traumatic stress disorder, which can result in permanent harm."

It is so unfortunate that a man of his position has the platform to spout this without having to justify it, table the statistical reports, answer a question or be accountable. Should I use the word lie?

The author of this great article is also the author of an amazing sex work blog:

The Honest Courtesan - http://maggiemcneill.wordpress.com

Tonnes of great stuff on her blog, similar to her fantastic piece in The Washington Post. I use it as a reference point time and time again when I am discussing sex work issues with people.

• Like 1