Sign in to follow this  

New anti-spam legislation poses challenge for businesses

Guest S*rca****sid

This may affect some providers who use mailing list to promote their business.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/new-anti-spam-legislation-poses-challenge-for-businesses-1.2678873

As of July 1, a new federal law meant to cleanse email inboxes of unwanted junk mail will make it difficult for companies to send mass promotional emails to clients.

Canada's Anti-Spam Legislation will require consent for sending commercial electronic messages to clients or prospective customers when in effect.

Thomas Raffy, a lawyer with McInnes Cooper, said anyone selling or promoting through email, text or instant messaging will be required to follow the law.

He said companies should get in touch with their contacts now before the law is enforced.

"You have to follow up with these contacts to see who is providing express consent and use that to keep on sending them messages," he said.

The legislation is a way for organizations, companies and corporations to update their databases and their contacts.

Electronic communication from a sender after July 1 must include three general requirements: consent, identification information and an unsubscribe mechanism.

"I think we're going to see a lot of small businesses get caught off guard from this," said Rich Gould, co-owner of Moncton-based Razor Creative, an advertising, marketing and design agency.

He said many small businesses do not have legal teams on hand to contact each client for consent.

There are also large fines to consider.

"They can go up all the way to $1 million per individual and $10 million for corporations," said Raffy.

The anti-spam legislation also protects citizens from unwanted spam coming from companies and individuals outside of Canada.

In the case of an independent, I wonder if you send a note to say hello and the person, for whatever reason, is not open to it, if this would be considered "spam"? Could make for some interesting suits and fines.

I really don't see how this new law will have any major impact in this industry... the amazing ladies I gave met in this hobby gave always respected their clients privacy and would never text or message without prior approval if the client... if this practice is continued there is no problem as it is not Spam.

Just my opinion

I have never received spam from any SP.

This legislation is great. Everyone I work with spends the first ten or fifteen minutes a day going through spam. No joke, it is a huge waste of productivity and must cost billions of dollars nationally. And there is the wasted bandwidth being used up.

Spammers should executed.