WHY...WHY...why this has to happen???

All I got to say it is too bad the start of this thread has gone into a total different direction, inflaming the issue now being discussed only ends up having people warned,banned,and the thread gets closed.

I really don't care what the dictionary says, can we just move on? Profanity has been around for many years, sometimes there is a time and place to be used.

Yes Katedot I agree with you the other parts of the male anatomy are always used, and some other female terms are used.

Lets get back on track...thanks folks:wink: Love always :)

All I got to say it is too bad the start of this thread has gone into a total different direction, inflaming the issue now being discussed only ends up having people warned,banned,and the thread gets closed.

I really don't care what the dictionary says, can we just move on? Profanity has been around for many years, sometimes there is a time and place to be used.

Yes Katedot I agree with you the other parts of the male anatomy are always used, and some other female terms are used.

Lets get back on track...thanks folks:wink: Love always :)

The whole purpose of this board is to accentuate the positives!!!!

I'm not sure wikipedia is the best source of information.

A word can be reappropriated by a certain community- 'faggot' by the gay community, 'nigger' by the black community, etc.- but when it is used by others who don't belong to that community it IS offensive. As you said, your gay friends call each other 'faggots' as a sign of trust and camaraderie. But outside the gay community, 'faggot' is a term generally used to insult the gay community. Same with 'nigger.' It depends on who is using the word and in what context. I don't know where it came from but to speak of women in that manner, and in so judgmental a way, is misogynistic.

I felt the sting of that word very deeply and that seems to make people really angry, but sometimes it's not about an ideal world where words mean nothing. Sometimes it's about how people want to be, and want not to be, described by others. I have a right to say that I don't want women described as ...... by men. Words mutate and transform with time. Just because they come from a neutral place does not mean they stay there. And words do not stay on a level playing field either. Words of a similar meaning can have very different effects.

That's not even factual.. a simple search of Wikipedia will tell you otherwise...

The actual word comes from Germanic background.. as someone with German in them who speaks German, I find it overly insulting that the origins of the word are lost and misrepresented...

If you read a bit further on the wikipedia page it states this;

"Despite criticisms, there is a movement within feminists that seeks to reclaim .... not only as acceptable, but as an honorific, in much the same way that queer has been re-appropriated by LGBT people."

I remember when "faggot" was a horrible word as well, now I have plenty of gay friends who say it..

Getting all up tight about a word or saying is one thing... but don't make it out to be something it's not.

It was not invented to perpetuate hate... and I'm sorry, but it's origins are NOT misogyny.

• Like 3

Words mutate and transform with time. Just because they come from a neutral place does not mean they stay there.

And likewise, just because they have changed once does not mean it can't change again. A word is just a word until you give it the power to hurt.

Posted via Mobile Device

• Like 1

I think Buggernot is a decent guy, but what he wrote was frowned upon by a lot of people and he had ample time to edit his message and chose not to.

I'm all for freedom of speech and use every word known to mankind in my every day vocabulary, however around here a certain level of cleanliness is required and MOD must keep us in line. I know this as I've been warned many times! :-)

This too shall pass.

Back on topic.....the importance of sharing references.

Yesterday in rather cavalier fashion stated that I had not been asked to provide a reference and wouldn't if asked. After reading the thread again, I was wrong.

Here we have these attractive, sexy and in my case much youger woman who in the real world likely wouldn't give me the time of day, prepared to open a door sight unseen and no matter what you look like show you a nice time (I forward a pix in advance so that can practice hiding their disappointemnt..lol). It's pretty remarkable when you think about it for a minute. And all they ask in return is don't quibble about their rate, show up, be on time, be respectful and polite, have good hygiene and be a participant versus a bystander. Wow, where pretty lucky if you ask me.

A tip of my chapeau to you all and I'll happily provide a reference if requested to do so.

And lets be kind to each other.

Peace

Mr Green

I'm not sure wikipedia is the best source of information.

A word can be reappropriated by a certain community- 'faggot' by the gay community, 'nigger' by the black community, etc.- but when it is used by others who don't belong to that community it IS offensive. As you said, your gay friends call each other 'faggots' as a sign of trust and camaraderie. But outside the gay community, 'faggot' is a term generally used to insult the gay community. Same with 'nigger.' It depends on who is using the word and in what context. I don't know where it came from but to speak of women in that manner, and in so judgmental a way, is misogynistic.

I felt the sting of that word very deeply and that seems to make people really angry, but sometimes it's not about an ideal world where words mean nothing. Sometimes it's about how people want to be, and want not to be, described by others. I have a right to say that I don't want women described as ...... by men. Words mutate and transform with time. Just because they come from a neutral place does not mean they stay there. And words do not stay on a level playing field either. Words of a similar meaning can have very different effects.

Wikipedia may not be the best source of info.. but even it knows that these words were not created out of hate, they have other origins..

I originally felt that this was blown out of proportion simply for the fact that it's not a horrible word/used negatively all over the world.. and this being Canada, I thought people were use to learning about things, people, and the way things are around the world...

Some people don't get that it is used so negatively here.. Just like some how some men come from other places and don't understand women's rights... We don't yell and ban them from Canada, we teach them that here, it's not how we do things... we believe in a better way. (and we usually try to understand why they think what they think)

...this is why I moved to Canada.. for the friendly understanding.. This inability to see it as anything other than a derogatory term has really blown my mind...

faggot is actually a bundle of sticks collected and roped

fag is actually the original term for cigarette

gay use to mean very happy

Fuck is actualy F.U.C.K. which after 2 wars in England and a large population loss of men the King decreed. " Fornicate Under the Comand of the King"!

Good idea (Group hug) and since this thread has gone so off topic due to a offensive word being used I think it's time to move on. - Close thread.

I sure don't want the word used here (along with any other words that are offensive and used to hurt people).

The way this thread has taken a huge turn is a perfect example why we will not allow such things here.

I am proud that Canadian's do not use that word.