Forbes: Another Bad Argument For The Swedish Model For Prostitution

Papers, as in peer-reviewed research, are all too often accepted as gospel.

Unfortunately we usually only see selected excerpts and the complete paper may be behind a paywall.

One of the most memorable courses I had in university was one about analysing and critiquing papers. My father did a lot of peer review for a journal in his field. He often talked about papers sent to him for review that were absolute rubbish...that was his favourite term.

It is good that in this case Forbes deconstructs a paper that is being used to justify C36.

Papers, as in peer-reviewed research, are all too often accepted as gospel.

Unfortunately we usually only see selected excerpts and the complete paper may be behind a paywall.

One of the most memorable courses I had in university was one about analysing and critiquing papers. My father did a lot of peer review for a journal in his field. He often talked about papers sent to him for review that were absolute rubbish...that was his favourite term.

It is good that in this case Forbes deconstructs a paper that is being used to justify C36.

Exactly! The same research Smith used in her (awful) "Tipping Point" report, which is used to support Bill c-36, is the same research already discredited by Ontario courts. This is like pretty basic stuff.

Exactly! The same research Smith used in her (awful) "Tipping Point" report, which is used to support Bill c-36, is the same research already discredited by Ontario courts. This is like pretty basic stuff.

They are discredited for a reason, imo. There is a lot of good research out there.

One thing that came up recently is the 5 year report on the ban in Norway. Whoever is doing the report wants the focus on proving that the demand has decreased due to the laws. Norway's LE has actually done a lot of harm directed at the sps, including campaigns to get them evicted.

I think a lot of the reported decrease in 'demand' is actually a decrease in 'supply'. It made me think again that the people researching and commenting and deciding know very little about this biz. demand and supply tends to be pretty static. legalization doesn't increase demand and criminalization doesn't decrease it. I base this on experience.

i work in an area that is physically small, the city I mean. there is room for a certain number of sps. Let's say there are 10, and there are 500 clients. based on my experience, from time to time sps drop out, they might retire or move. So from time to time there are only 8 sps in my immediate area.

There are still 500 clients seeking services. When 2 sps in my area drop out, the demands for MY time increase as those guys who weren't seeing me are now contacting the remaining 8 looking for a replacement. What these studies do not take into account is that the sps who remain working are doing so probably because business has increased due to clients coming to see them, due to some sps being driven out of the biz.

There is a lot of inaccurate quoting going on in the C36 debate.

So inaccurate it verges on dishonest.

One example is the constant claim that "studies" show the Nordic model has resolved prostitution in Sweden. This is absolutely not true and I feel many of those making this claim know it is not true.

Many of these quotes are out of context, a few sentences of a paper that is dozens of pages long. Thorough reading of the paper may lead to the opposite conclusion, or simply discredit the paper's argument.

There is a lot of inaccurate quoting going on in the C36 debate.

So inaccurate it verges on dishonest.

One example is the constant claim that "studies" show the Nordic model has resolved prostitution in Sweden. This is absolutely not true and I feel many of those making this claim know it is not true.

Many of these quotes are out of context, a few sentences of a paper that is dozens of pages long. Thorough reading of the paper may lead to the opposite conclusion, or simply discredit the paper's argument.

Yes, that's exactly what the abolitionists do.

Another thing is they take the report about New Zealand and take things out of context, or that are actually irrelevant. For example, you will see them shout hysterically that the PRA (prostitution reform act) according to the 5 year report 'failed' to eliminate or reduce violence against women. It was never the purpose of the decriminalization of prostitution in NZ to eliminate VAW, that being a social ill, not a prostitution ill. They will say that the decrim (of incalls for example) 'failed' to eliminate street work. Another thing that the PRA was not intended to do was reduce SWs.

Then they claim that trafficking increased, something that hasn't actually been studied or proven to have happened. In order to say something has increased (or decreased) first you have to know what it was in the first place. In NZ, they did as best they could a study of the number of sps, their input etc, they could then say there has been no increase in the overall number of sps, because they compare it to what they researched before. With Sweden, they did not research it, neither trafficking or the total number of sps. There is no way at all that they can now say there were any changes to anything. There is no data to compare from 1999 to 2014.