I love my parents but...

They have just recently returned from their winter home and are running around to various appointments.

This morning, my dad called and said that once they are done with their errands in town, they would stop by for a quick visit. When I asked what time, he said he wasn't sure.

This has basically screwed up my whole day! (And made me forget to confirm, well cancel, an appointment that I had at 11am)

Last year at this time, I had a full time job but now that I am "retired" I guess they figure I have nothing better to do.

How do I get them to confirm, in the future, a specific time for a visit without needing to elaborate on the reason?

How do I get them to confirm, in the future, a specific time for a visit without needing to elaborate on the reason?

You could tell them you are doing 'Consulting' and frequently have meetings, using the web or by telephone, with clients, and need to be notified in advance so you can be sure your schedule is clear?

Just a thought..... :-P

Edited by bucken
typo

Here are some ideas:

I volunteer at "insert name here" and they count on me at this time.

I still do freelance "insert job here" and there are times I need to meet with people that have regular schedules.

I have an appointment with "insert name of service here" and I can't cancel without losing my deposit.

I am meeting up with "insert name here" and need to know whether I have to cancel.

There is always a reason for a timeline!

Why make it so complicated? As an adult you have a right to your own space and place, you need to set a few boundaries in your own life and it's fair that they respect that. You don't need to provide an elaborate lie, simply say that you "have plans" but would still like to see them and can they provide a time so that you can be sure that you'll be done your errands and be able to set aside time for them without needing to rush off. If they cannot provide an approximate time then let them know that today isn't good for you (just say you have some "stuff" you need to get done and it'll have you out of the house most of the day) but that you will stop by their place when you are not so busy.

• Like 2

This is where I may differ than most, but I would say straight-up:

Sorry Folks - I might be shagging at that time, so you will need to call first. If there is no answer - I'm shagging; If I answer, then we can discuss a time then if you don't have one in mind right now. Have a good day!

While my parents by no means are greatly liberal - I just tell them I am a product of them and this is what I do :) They never know what to say but listen to me and phone ahead of time.

If they say anything, it's easy to say: You didn't ask my brother and I if we minded you shagging in the house when we were there :razz: They will get over it. If not - ground me! haha

I've lost all tact with my parents - they get everything direct nowadazes. Now that I have almost died a number of times, I don't have time for shenanigans and delicate constitutions.

While I do not recommend such an approach for everyone, I find honesty is usually the best policy.

Hope things work out for you Meg - GL!

Carpe Peaciem!

Guest C****** K***e

Ah, this is one of the times I am so thankful I'm a musician. "I have rehearsal" is always a go-to for me, and since I actually quite often do have rehearsal commitments, nobody has ever questioned. (Plus having my parents think I music for money more often than I actually do solves the "how do you make money" question.)

I think Kyra said it best though!

Perhaps I might guess that you may play the flute??:mrgreen: LOL, Love to be at your rehearsal!:mrgreen: Could not resist Chantal:wink:

Ah, this is one of the times I am so thankful I'm a musician. "I have rehearsal" is always a go-to for me,