Carrie... I think the town that I grew up in, in southwestern Ontario had one of the last authentic "old school" A&Ws. You drove up, read the menu, flashed your headlights (not your headlights Carrie, the car's!!!) and the waitress would rollerskate to your car and take the order. She would return on the skates with the order!!! That one closed in 83 or 84.

I grew up in SW Ontario. I was born in London but moved an hour away when I was less than a year old. My parents first date was in London :)

Drive-in movie theatres

yup! miss those a lot.

Seeing rock bands at the Chaud

(The Chaudiere on upper Alymer Road - anyone remember the Green Door?

That's where we went before it closed and we had to upstairs to the Rose Room)

Drive-in movie theatres

Chaud-I only visited upstairs in the Rose Room. I was down stairs a couple of times-(Green Room) only when I was thirsty and did not wait in line anymore at the Rose Room.

Drive-In- If you don't mind driving, just outside Smith Falls, on your way to Perth. There is town called Port Elmsley, if you blink you might miss the turn off for it.

They have a drive-in, the vintage stuff inside the store area, is cool. The grounds area, is grass and play park for the kids up front.

If you go, just bring enough bug spray, the mosquito's are a pain in the ass. Here is the link, I believe the do a rate for a car load, remember that? Sneaking your friends in the trunk of your car going into the Drive-In. Shit my car back in the 70's, it's trunk was so big you could a mattress in it, and you could have a sleep over in it. :)

http://www.portelmsleydrivein.com/

Drive Ins??? There are still a few.... but as has been so eloquently pointed out before, they are getting fewer and fewer.

I take my kids for a couple of weeks to the family cottage on Lake Huron every summer and our Tuesday night treat is to drive to the Owen Sound Drive In - where for $10 a car you get to see two big release movies. The first time they went they were absolutely amazed ... "we can watch movies in the car in our jammies??"

ohhh and there are always more things...

Emergency!!! Johnny Gage and Roy DeSoto...

The original cast of SNL

Jukeboxes

Eaton's Christmas catalogue

When the Cookie Monster ate cookies with reckless abandon...

Johnny Carson

Yesterday afternoon as I was was watching the sad hockey game I heard a familar ringing. It was the dickie dee! I haven't heard one in a while, but its a sound you will never forget. What I miss about it was the urgency to always run out and catch him before he passed. Yesterday as it would have it I had already been to the store and was eating a popsicle. I swear back in the day I would have got another one to put inthe fridge for later. Made me think of this list again :) A few more....

Mud pies in my sunday dress- Mom always loved that one lol

Popples!!! I had like 20 absolutly obessed with them

Who could forget strawberry shortcake!

Under the Umbrella tree, with Iggy,Gloria & Jacob :) HAHA

I'm still thinking of more......

i miss my ex-wife........................:shock:

but

my aim is improving:twisted:

Yesterday afternoon as I was was watching the sad hockey game I heard a familar ringing. It was the dickie dee! I haven't heard one in a while, but its a sound you will never forget. What I miss about it was the urgency to always run out and catch him before he passed. Yesterday as it would have it I had already been to the store and was eating a popsicle. I swear back in the day I would have got another one to put inthe fridge for later. Made me think of this list again :) A few more....

Belle ... you have tweaked an amazing memory!!!!!!! Kids running like addle pated idiots hearing the bell of the Good Humor truck ... losing the ability to communicate in any discernible language, screaming at their moms for two things, money and the words "ice cream."

Mind you, come to think of it... today, it's like running to the ATM... mentally screaming "money" and "boobies." Oh we never grow up.

Lick and stick tattoos

Black cat gum... like double bubble only licorice flavoured

The original "6"

The Farrah poster

Major Matt Mason

Belle ... you have tweaked an amazing memory!!!!!!! Kids running like addle pated idiots hearing the bell of the Good Humor truck ... losing the ability to communicate in any discernible language, screaming at their moms for two things, money and the words "ice cream." /quote]

I thought Good Humor was in the States? We had Dickie-Dee where I lived.

We also had the "milk man" who would deliver milk in those glass bottles with the cream floating on top. My brother and his friends got caught stealing coins from empty bottles off peoples' porches.

In our community we also had the "bread man" who would deliver bread to the house. He had other goodies and we'd always try and twist our mother's arm to get some Vachon pastries. My favourites were Mille Feuille, Jo Louis, Passion Flakie and Oh Caramel!

Belle ... you have tweaked an amazing memory!!!!!!! Kids running like addle pated idiots hearing the bell of the Good Humor truck ... losing the ability to communicate in any discernible language, screaming at their moms for two things, money and the words "ice cream." /quote]

I thought Good Humor was in the States? We had Dickie-Dee where I lived.

We also had the "milk man" who would deliver milk in those glass bottles with the cream floating on top. My brother and his friends got caught stealing coins from empty bottles off peoples' porches.

In our community we also had the "bread man" who would deliver bread to the house. He had other goodies and we'd always try and twist our mother's arm to get some Vachon pastries. My favourites were Mille Feuille, Jo Louis, Passion Flakie and Oh Caramel!

I grew up in southwestern Ontario... we had the Good Humor Man...

As for the milk man and the bread man... Yup and yup!!!!! I think the last time the milk man came to the house was in the 70's... but if you look at all the houses that were built before 1970, pretty much every one had a milk box and a bread box near the entrance!!!!!

Guest S***e

Wet dreams.

Vanilla fudge.

Wet dreams.

Nesbitt's orange pop.

Wet dreams.

5 cent bags of potato chips.

Wet dreams.

6 cent roll of Lifesavors.

Wet dreams.

A dozen egg rolls for a buck.

Wet dreams.

47 cent per gallon gasoline and 426 hemis and all supercars.

Wet dreams.

Drive in theatres.

Wet dreams.

Caravan chocolate bars.

Wet dreams.

Black and white movies.

Wet dreams....and on it goes or not.

Guest f***2f***
My parents had their first date at a drive-in A&W!

Ha ha I worked the grill at the A&W drive-in at Bank and Alta Vista from 1970 to 72...yeah child labour I was 6 lol!!

There was some smoking chicks working as car hops....with the nice orange mini skirts...but my gf worked there too so I had to mind my ps and qs lol.

What do I miss??

My first car...a 1956 red convertible volkswagen bug!!

Making out in the life guard tower at Mooney's Bay.

The coffee house at the CAtholic Church at Walkley and Riverside on Friday nights...lots of hotties!!

The Pig and Whistle Pub

The Chaudeire Club in Hull....yeah the bouncy dance floor.

The Wellington Hotel...cheap draft

Going to open air Rock Shows at Camp Fortune...saw the Stampeders there one night and smoked a lot of weed...lol (Sweet City Woman at 10000 decibels echoing of the hill!!)

Camping on the May 24 weekend at Kemptville Provincial Park

Cruising in my buddies 1965 black Parisiene convertable

the list goes on..........:cry:

Guest S***e
When hockey was HOCKEY!

Chicago Blackhawks in the finals...can the habs get out of their rut?? Hope so...be great to have two of the Original Six in the finals.

I grew up in southwestern Ontario... we had the Good Humor Man...

As for the milk man and the bread man... Yup and yup!!!!! I think the last time the milk man came to the house was in the 70's... but if you look at all the houses that were built before 1970, pretty much every one had a milk box and a bread box near the entrance!!!!!

We lived in Quebec, and if you wanted the bread man to stop in, you put a sign in the front window.

We used to get a kick out of the fact that the word "Pain" was visible from the street.

We lived in Quebec, and if you wanted the bread man to stop in, you put a sign in the front window.

We used to get a kick out of the fact that the word "Pain" was visible from the street.

I have a couple of amazing Punjabi friends that laugh their asses off when driving through rural Quebec... we pass houses that boast "Pain Chaud"... and I thought it only to mean "hot bread"... but in Punjabi the sign means "sister fucker!!!!!!!!"

Guest f***2f***
This you can still do.. :bddog:

hmmmm that would be fun...the girl I used to make out with up there was a hot little redhead who lived across the street!! Have no idea where she is today but I'm sure there are some other hot little red heads around lol:sm185:

Guest s******ecan****
Hawaiian Punch & The Pop Shop

God does that bring back memories! I remember when we got our "Pop Shop" here in town. My brother and I were such dweebs we treated it as if Disneyworld had relocated to our city. Of course it was only the summer before that we had made our own root beer. Hires had some "do it yourself kit" that my mother bought for us, naturally she had no way of carbonating it (not sure if this was because it was not part of the kit or not part of her commitment to our happiness) so we had this big cauldron of flat root beer that we could slake our thirst from whenever we felt like it........needless to say I've never been much of a root beer fan since.

- Popeye cigarettes.

- The original, original Coke.

- Captain Kangaroo.

- Sanford and Son.

- Summers off, and how they seemed to last forever when I was a kid.

- An ache-free, pain-free body.

- Gigging with any of my various past bands.

- Penny candy.

- 10 cent bags of potato chips.

Wow, I could go on and on... great thread!

Wow, I could go on and on... great thread!

Thanks so much!!!

I go home to southwestern Ontario every few weeks... and they have a shop with all the coolest old stuff. I see old TV's (the Philco Predicta)... old radios, candy from the past... my kids look at me and wonder why I get misty, but really it is a small throwback.

The penny candy?? Loved that. You could take a quarter and turn it into a small cache of tooth rotting paradise!!!!

KooKoo bars - the long tricolored (brown was chocolate, pink strawberry and white vanilla) slice of taffy wrapped in waxed paper.

MacIntosh Toffee- you had to buy the stale packs so you could smack it on a hard surface and share all the pieces with your buddies....

Old movie theatres with balconies... perfect for the hot girl date (ahhhh the first boob feel)!!!

Stolen milk crates that were the perfect size for LPs

Bicycles with tall handlebars and banana seats... even better when your friend's dad welded a double set of front forks on... you looked like an eight year old Easy Rider...

Gump Worseley and Glenn Hall, that last goalies to play without masks...

Ann Margarock, Stony Curtis and Cary Granite guest starring on the Flintstones

Stolen milk crates that were the perfect size for LPs

I still have some of those from my university days.. they are great for moving books as well as storing them :)

loved koo koo and macintosh too!

Guest f***2f***

Sneaking into the "Aladdin Drive In in the trunk of my buddy's car

Sneaking into the "Aladdin Drive In in the trunk of my buddy's car

Hah!! We did that at the Airport Drive-In (I used to live at CFB Uplands).

Guest f***2f***
Hah!! We did that at the Airport Drive-In (I used to live at CFB Uplands).

Ha ha yes I snuck into the Airport Drive In too....as well as the Britannia Drive In......ha ha....When I took a date there a little later it was fun making out in the car too.....I think I miss Drive Ins a lot!!

Remember the Sky-Line drive-in on the corner of Fisher and Baseline? I think they tore it down in 1979.

Yes, I miss drive-ins too!!!