Interesting Reading For Anyone with Peanut Allergy

Interesting reading if you suffer from Peanut Allergies and fly from time to time.

There are quite a few articles about doing what you can to minimize your health risks while flying.... this one is aimed specifically at those with peanut allergies....

http://www.cnn.com/2010/TRAVEL/06/22/ban.peanuts.planes/index.html?hpt=Sbin

Thank you so much for the link. While I am not allergic to peanuts, I do have a very severy allergy to coconut, both ingested and topical! I used to discount the peanut allergy phenomenom as an urban legend until my allergy surfaced. People; food allergies can potentially be fatal. I never realized how frequently coconut surfaces in various foods and beauty products! I have not yet experienced an inhaled reaction but both ingestion and skin contact are pretty nasty!

It might sound good on paper, but it's not going to fly. NO pun intended for the OP either:lol:

I am allergic to fish, and when I eat out, I have learned to ask what has been cooked with which etc.

It might sound good on paper, but it's not going to fly. NO pun intended for the OP either:lol:

I am allergic to fish, and when I eat out, I have learned to ask what has been cooked with which etc.

There are certain ethnic dishes I get sick from if cooked with oyster sauce but yet I can east oysters. But the fish thing - big time with Asian cooking.

There are certain ethnic dishes I get sick from if cooked with oyster sauce but yet I can east oysters. But the fish thing - big time with Asian cooking.

Yup,it's both fish AND seafood for me. Oh, and penicillian.

Thanks 777, interesting little read.

I'm not allergic to peanuts at all - I love peanuts actually, and really enjoy having them on the plane... BUT, I wouldn't mind going a few hours on a plane without them - especially if it'd prevent someone from have a very serious reaction.

It mentioned in that article that some people can suffer a reaction just from inhaling the proteins... If that's a common thing with peanut allergy sufferers then I think that, YES, absolutely, they should ban peanut stuff from the plane (because of the closely shared air).

If that's a very rare thing though, and the vast majority of those allergic actually have to ingest peanuts/peanut products to have a reaction, then I think banning them from planes is a little silly... I don't want anyone to get sick or hurt, but there comes a point when you have to assume responsibility for your own (or your child's) health and safety (doesn't there?)

If just breathing nut proteins is enough to endanger your life wouldn't you already be in the habit of wearing some sort of breathing filtration system?

Of course, I don't know just how easy it is to ingest nut proteins without actually eating nuts though. Is it very easy to do this? Can you get really sick because everybody around you eats nuts and touches everything and then you touch everything, don't wear gloves and/or don't wash your hands then put your fingers in your mouth?

Again, I wonder about the specifics and whether or not this is a society issue or a personal issue.

I'm not judging either way, as I mentioned already, it's no skin off my back to go without peanuts on a flight... It'd be interesting to know all of the facts (and not just from one side or the other - real, actual facts).

I don't think that peanuts need to be completely banned from planes, but if someone identifies themselves as having such a severe allergy beforehand then peanuts should be witheld on that particular flight. Plus that person should also always be carrying an epi-pen.

I don't think that peanuts need to be completely banned from planes, but if someone identifies themselves as having such a severe allergy beforehand then peanuts should be witheld on that particular flight. Plus that person should also always be carrying an epi-pen.

Good idea. I would think that most airlines would at least try and help you in that area:confused:

And I SECOND the idea of taking an EPI-Pen with you. I have one in my purse, and one at home, just in case I have a reaction.

Oddly enough, hasn't happened since I was a baby *knock on wood*

I was playing with a fish in the sink, put my hands in my mouth and stopped breathing. My mom went kind of loopy, and my dad had to slap her to get her back into reality *how sad huh*

Second time, the hospital gave me Penacilin and that just about got me as well.

I count myself lucky to be here on this planet. I wasn't even supposed to make it as a baby, but that is a LONG story and perhaps TOO much info:oops:

Actually many airlines have specific policies in place when dealing with a broad range of issues, whether it be an allergy or disability. The best way to find out is to check on the particular airlines Web-page for what their policy is towards allergies etc.

Calling in advance of the flight will also alert the airline to your particular need.

Delta Airlines for instance will create a ?safe zone? for you if you let them know in advance. of your peanut allergy??. I believe its 3 seat rows front/back of the individual with the allergy, as well as offer peanut free snacks in that area.?..and an announcement will be made pre-flight letting passengers know of the allergy??.they will even allow YOU to pre-board and cleanse the area???

Once again, the onus is on the passenger as the airline won?t take liability (shocking concept ! )

In the end, please make sure you take your medication ( and/or Epipen) etc., and make the flight crew aware upon boarding, of your specific needs so they can react accordingly?..most will be very accommodating?????

I don?t think many people realize how serious some people?s allergic reactions can be?.especially35,000 feet in the air...

SNK

Question kind sir...most people who are aware of an allergy carry an epipen, especially in circumstances where one may not be readily available. Do the airlines have this as part of their first aid kit?

Hi Meg,

Short answer is yes, BUT.... if there are medical personnel on board they can use the emergency medical kit (EMK).....most airlines policy will not allow cabin crew to administer the injection....

For some time now, airlines have been mandated to carry minimum amount of medical equipment, from simple first aid kits to Emergency Medical kits (EMK), Enhanced Emergency Medical Kit (EEMK) and defibrilator (AED)

On my airline, ( a US Based Carrier ) we exceed minimum requirements, but our policy for the use of the EMK, EEMK are restricted to trained medical personnel only.....

Best bet is to check the airlines web site and/or call them to see what their policy is........

And ALWAYS carry your own medical supplies....its your best bet.....

SNK