Movie marketing gimmicks... do you bite?

So far this year already, we've had two movies marketed through outrageous marketing gimmicks.

The first was The Interview: we were told North Korea threatened repercussions if it was released.

Then, with 50 Shades of Grey, we were treated to news stories of movie theatres purchasing washable plastic covers for their seats, and of course, all the preachers denounced the movie.

Do these sorts of tactics make you want to see a movie more? Or skip it altogether?

I've seen the interview, quite funny and enjoyed it. Probably won't see 50 shades but no the hype or publicity doesn't make my mind up, I watch if I want to see it.

For the interview, I like Franco and Rogen so knew what to expect.

The hype for thouse two movies tend to make me not want to see them.

But some movies do a great job and sometimes get my hopes too high for the movie that it is a let down when I see it.

As for movies like the intervies and 40 shades...you have to pay me to watch them.

Most of the great suprise blockbusters have had a smaller ad run and leave more mystery to the movie.

I usually check out the movie trailers first, make a note of the release dates, and wait until it's been out long enough that I don't endure big crowds on discount Tuesdays.

The only "gimmick" that I went along with recently was seeing "The Hobbit: Battle of the Five Armies" in IMAX 3D. Obviously had to pay a higher ticket price and select theatres where it was playing in that format, but was convinced it was worth it because that was the "best" way to see it.

On my down time I like to watch tv, so a movie that is hyped, and hyped, like 50 shades, only makes me dislike it, as do the gimmicks. However if the trailer is good, I might be tempted to see it. I'm a woman, moody;) , so my mood plays into it my decision making as well:)