Does anyone know what the best cleaning agent is for daily use on granite? (Specifically the kitchen and bathroom). Also, how often does it need to be sealed?

Thanks!

We use windex or similar non-streak cleaner.....and use a micro-fibre cloth to dry ........and it leaves a perfect shine

10 years, and still looks brand new and have not had to reseal....and won't have to for some time.....

All i was told was not to let greasy items lay on it for too long....such as a pizza box.....dont know why, but why risk it !!

SNK

I heard a combination of rubbing alcohol, dish soap and water was good too. I just don't want to take any chances by using the wrong stuff and ruining it.

Guest c******n****h

You should reseal once a year. A little sealant goes a long way. If the countertop is new, check to see if there are any water stains or discoloration. If so, you may need to reseal.

Thanks to some tips from Carrie for my wood floors, I now use a mixture of vinegar and water to clean everything!

Vengar, water, baking soda and lemon juice (in any combination) really will clean anything. Without the nasty chemicals of commercial cleaners. And you shouldn't leave anything greasy on stone because it's porous and will suck up oils. Different stones have different density, of course. But your friend is right, keep the grease off the counter! And try a more natural cleaner like vinegar and water to give it a natural gloss without having trace amounts of chemicals seep into your counters.

Posted via Mobile Device

Mr. Clean magic eraser works wonder on many surfaces and works wonder on glass top stove.

Additional Comments:

Mr. Clean magic eraser works wonder on many surfaces and works wonder on glass top stove.

Vengar, water, baking soda and lemon juice (in any combination) really will clean anything. Without the nasty chemicals of commercial cleaners. And you shouldn't leave anything greasy on stone because it's porous and will suck up oils. Different stones have different density, of course. But your friend is right, keep the grease off the counter! And try a more natural cleaner like vinegar and water to give it a natural gloss without having trace amounts of chemicals seep into your counters.

Posted via Mobile Device

I was told that anything acidic like vinegar, is harmful to granite.

You dilute it, silly. And it's a lot less acidic than some of the freaky chemicals in household cleansers by a long shot. I use a solution of 1 cup vinegar to 1L of water. Wash as normal, take a nice buffing cloth and buff away excess moisture.

Posted via Mobile Device

Guest Ou**or**n

Vinegar in water is fine with granite. The stuff is almost indestructible when professionally sealed.

Nothing about cleaning or sealing, but if you're in the market to purchase some granite counter tops I recommend Bulgari Granite on Bronson Ave (Ottawa, Ontario) across from Glebe High. He's got limited quantities of select colours of pre-polished granite coming in from China which is sold at half to two-thirds the cost of other granite available around the city. You can also get nice undermount SS Bristol brand sinks from him. Seems the Chinese will cut and polish and ship cheaper than anyone else....no surprise.